Siege weapons and defense weapons in ancient China

Jinit

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
India
This is by far the best thread I have seen on the chinese siege weapons.
Thank you Purakjelia for such an informative thread.:)

Dec 2011
Mountains and Jungles of Southern China
Dec 2009
Canada
A very good thread indeed. Highly informative and further proof showing that the Chinese were very innovative.

I would like to add the following link to the thread, which is probably known to other Chinese historians, and focuses on Chinese siege weapons and catapults.

Chinese Siege Warfare: Mechanical Artillery and Siege Weapons of Antiquity
I'd recommend getting Kit Meng's book as well if you can find it. There aren't too many copies of it these days, and ones that are around are fairly expensive. It certainly is worth the expensive price due to the information contained within it, but for some people it is a bit prohibitive ($400 for a book is rather expensive, even for someone who loves these kinds of things). If you can find it for it's original price of $30, get it while you can.

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
I'd recommend getting Kit Meng's book as well if you can find it. There aren't too many copies of it these days, and ones that are around are fairly expensive. It certainly is worth the expensive price due to the information contained within it, but for some people it is a bit prohibitive ($400 for a book is rather expensive, even for someone who loves these kinds of things). If you can find it for it's original price of $30, get it while you can.
Thank you for that. I will certainly keep my eye open for it :)

Can I ask what it entails?

Dec 2009
Canada
Thank you for that. I will certainly keep my eye open for it :)

Can I ask what it entails?
Basically it's more in depth information from what is contained on the site you linked (Kit Meng is the one who put that site up). He's actually a professional engineer, and I used to know him when both him and I used to be members on the website known as China History Forum. There's actually a few members here who were pretty active on that site too; RollingWave, Ghostexorcist, etc. It's a shame that a lot of good members there left, but that's what happens with forums. People move onto other things.

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
Basically it's more in depth information from what is contained on the site you linked (Kit Meng is the one who put that site up). He's actually a professional engineer, and I used to know him when both him and I used to be members on the website known as China History Forum. There's actually a few members here who were pretty active on that site too; RollingWave, Ghostexorcist, etc. It's a shame that a lot of good members there left, but that's what happens with forums. People move onto other things.
Oh excellent. Thanks very much. I shall certainly look out for it. :)

Dec 2011
In case anyone of you may wonder how did the ancient Chinese catapult might have worked, here is a youtube video that talks about Chinese gunpowder. In this video, the British historians used a replica of the ancient Chinese catapult to launch explosives towards a cardboard village. The replica is not completely accurate though, but it gives you a general idea of how the ancient Chinese catapult might have looked like and how it might have worked. The Chinese soldiers of the Sung Dynasty indeed used their catapult to launch their newly-invented gunpowder bombs towards their nomadic enemies.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRaVqUuDMo"]The Chinese Gunpowder - YouTube[/ame]

Dec 2011
Here is the ancient Chinese mobile siege tower; it's probably one of the largest siege weapons that the ancient Chinese had ever built. It's Chinese name is "臨衝呂公車" (Lin Chong Lio Gong Che), I'm not sure how to translate this name into English. This ancient Chinese mobile siege tower had five storeys and eight wheels. The soldiers in the bottom storey pushed this tower towards the enemy city, while the soldiers in the upper four storeys were armed with different types of spears, polearms, bows, and crossbows. This siege tower was about 12 metres high, 6 metres wide, and 8 metres long.

Similar History Discussions