Significant Works of Historical Art and Craftsmanship

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
A few paintings by George Stubbs (1724-1806)...

Hambletonian Rubbing Down
Hambletonian.jpg

The Farmer's Wife and the Raven stubbs 1.jpg

Anderson with Two Saddle Horses
stubbs 2.jpg

John and Sophia Musters Riding at Colwick
stubbs 3.jpg

Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
Militia Company of District II under the Command of Captain Frans Banninck Cocq, also known as The Shooting Company of Frans Banning Cocq and Willem van Ruytenburch,

The dark varnish used to coat this painting, made it appear to be a night scene giving rise to its' common name,

THE NIGHT WATCH

Rembrandt van Rijn sneaked a self portrait of himself into the picture.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Mar 2019
Kansas
These paintings represent the simple country life from a couple of centuries ago. It's really romantic and quaint--like a window into a world that has long since disappeared. :(
Yeah there is something to be said for the simple country life. Mind you lots of trade offs I am not sure I would be comfortable with doing :(

Aug 2019
Livingston 62° 38′ 27″ S, 60° 22′ 0.98″ W
Tsanko Lavrenov was a Bulgarian painter and art critic born in 1896, deceased in 1978.
He is one of the most prominent, influential and distinctive Bulgarian artists of the 20th century. A modernist influenced by Symbolism and Secession, Lavrenov is best known for his cityscapes of the old town of Plovdiv as well as his monasteries cycle.
The Old Plovdiv
Lavrenov2.jpg

"The Rila Monastery"
Lavrenov10.jpg

Little Night Music in Old Plovdiv
Lavrenov6.jpg

Sofia during the 1944 bombing
Lavrenov8.jpg

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
These paintings represent the simple country life from a couple of centuries ago. It's really romantic and quaint--like a window into a world that has long since disappeared. :(
Yeah there is something to be said for the simple country life. Mind you lots of trade offs I am not sure I would be comfortable with doing :(

"Simple"? "Disappeared"? Ain't nothing simple about riding side saddle... and this will probably be me later today (minus the wonky hat). There goes my freaking eggs.

:lol:

stubbs 1.jpg