Similarities Between Cultures and Warrior/Heroic Virtues

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
Or was it the otherway round?the "Iroqese" hairstyle for example was probably first documented in 5000years in northafrica because the Greek source (a disk)do not clearly Show an hairstyle or an helmet with an Iroqese.

Matthew Amt

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
MD, USA
A viking Helmet
View attachment 25033

The Dresscode of a Twareg
View attachment 25034
You're kidding, right? You aren't seriously suggesting a cultural connection between one style of helmet that happens to leave the eyes exposed (duh) to a headwrap meant to protect the face from sun, wind, and sand, are you?

Besides, the visual "similarities" go away with a better photo of the helmet:
werner-forman-the-so-called-sigurd-s-helmet-vendel-period-7th-century_a-G-15837103-4985774.jpg

And it's not actually a "Viking" helmet, but pre-Viking, one of type called Vendel or Valsgarde helmets. Do an image search on either one to see a bunch more.

Matthew

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
Well i thought it was a viking helmet because Vikings use same similar helmets with this eye shape protection.Valsgarde sounds scandinavian but the helmet also have a short irocese like greeks have.What material was used for the veil?iron wool?

Matthew Amt

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
MD, USA
Well i thought it was a viking helmet because Vikings use same similar helmets with this eye shape protection.Valsgarde sounds scandinavian but the helmet also have a short irocese like greeks have.What material was used for the veil?iron wool?
Sorry, I may have come across a little sharply on that! Didn't mean for it to sound like a major argument. Yes, it's Scandinavian, it just predates what we generally think of as the "Viking era". There is one surviving helmet from Scandinavia that dates to the Viking era that has a similar "spectacle" or "goggle" eyeguard, though I think they find more in Russia, and there might be a few depictions from that era. But most artwork shows a simpler style of helmet, basically what we call the "Norman conical" helmet, often with a straight nasal or noseguard.

The neckguard or veil is iron chainmail. Not sure what you mean by "irocese", though?

Matthew

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
The neckguard or veil is iron chainmail. Not sure what you mean by "irocese", though?
The hairstyle of the Mohawk tribe isnt it called like that with straight hair in the middle and the sides are shaped ,thats what i meant to recognise on the Valsgard helmet.

Matthew Amt

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
MD, USA
The hairstyle of the Mohawk tribe isnt it called like that with straight hair in the middle and the sides are shaped ,thats what i meant to recognise on the Valsgard helmet.
Ah! We just call that hairstyle a "Mohawk"! I think it's kind of a stretch to connect it to the ridge on a helmet, though, it's more of a structural feature with decoration. Actual helmet crests of horsehair or feathers are certainly the same concept, very popular with the Greeks, Romans, and some other folks, but again, not necessarily a *connection* to a distant part of the world.

Matthew