Similarities between Napoleon and Hitler

Mar 2012
Maryland
It really detracts from Napoleon to compare him to Hitler. The only real similarities is that they were authoritarian rulers that ruled over a large portion of continental Europe.
That's it, Napoleon didn't commit genocide, Hitler was a terrible strategist, Napoleon knew when he made mistakes and acted reasonably to them, Napoleon was defensive in every single war he ruled over except for Spain 1808 & Russia 1812 whereas Hitler was the aggressor in every situation (don't give me the story of how Britain & France declared war on Germany because I know, and you know that GB & France TOLD him that if he invaded Poland there would be war).

This comparison is used primarily as a way for Napoleon critics to try and bring him down to Hitler's level. It doesn't work and I find it appalling that Franz II, Alexander I, George III, Frederick William III and all the other monarchs of Europe are not held as, if not more, responsible for the Napoleonic Wars than Napoleon.
The winners of wars write history, I think it's funny how historians portray Napoleon as this evil, power hungry person who wanted to take over the world. When it was Britain and the coalition who declared war on France to stop the Revolution from spreading, not that he was a saint or anything. Him and Hitler have a lot of similarities in terms of the things they did for France and Germany respectively, the military decisions they made (i.e. invading Russia) and their backgrounds. Napoleon wasn't a racist, bigoted maniac like Hitler he just lost a war.

Last edited:

irishcrusader95

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
Ireland
It really detracts from Napoleon to compare him to Hitler. The only real similarities is that they were authoritarian rulers that ruled over a large portion of continental Europe.
That's it, Napoleon didn't commit genocide, Hitler was a terrible strategist, Napoleon knew when he made mistakes and acted reasonably to them, Napoleon was defensive in every single war he ruled over except for Spain 1808 & Russia 1812 whereas Hitler was the aggressor in every situation (don't give me the story of how Britain & France declared war on Germany because I know, and you know that GB & France TOLD him that if he invaded Poland there would be war).

This comparison is used primarily as a way for Napoleon critics to try and bring him down to Hitler's level. It doesn't work and I find it appalling that Franz II, Alexander I, George III, Frederick William III and all the other monarchs of Europe are not held as, if not more, responsible for the Napoleonic Wars than Napoleon.
indeed but hay, that's victors justice for ya

Oct 2011
Wyoming, USA
The winners of wars write history, I think it's funny how historians portray Napoleon as this evil, power hungry person who wanted to take over the world. When it was Britain and the coalition who declared war on France to stop the Revolution from spreading, not that he was a saint or anything. Him and Hitler have a lot of similarities in terms of the things they did for France and Germany respectively and the military decisions they made (i.e. invading Russia). Napoleon wasn't a racist, bigoted maniac like Hitler he just lost a war.
Indeed, I can see their comparisons in that respect but all to often does the discussion go into their "tyrannical, power hungry reigns of terror". While it is true for Hitler, for Napoleon it is not.

As far as the Russian campaigns are concerned, all too often is credit for both their failures simply attributed to winter only, which is only part of the truth. Napoleon expected to face and defeat a concentrated Russian Army. Kutuzov learned that would be suicide for Russia, instead Kutuzov used scorched Earth tactics to drain the French of their health.

Hitler meanwhile would have had it in the bag. Mussolini however, invaded Greece in April of 41 without notifying the Germans and got their ass kicked, forcing Germany to divert forces and delay the invasion by two months. When he invaded, Army Group South was encountering more resistance than expected and Hitler diverted the panzers form Army Group Centre and delaying their attack on Moscow. Army Group South got through the resistance before the panzers could be used, a total waste.

irishcrusader95

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
Ireland
As far as the Russian campaigns are concerned, all too often is credit for both their failures simply attributed to winter only, which is only part of the truth. Napoleon expected to face and defeat a concentrated Russian Army. Kutuzov learned that would be suicide for Russia, instead Kutuzov used scorched Earth tactics to drain the French of their health.

Hitler meanwhile would have had it in the bag. Mussolini however, invaded Greece in April of 41 without notifying the Germans and got their ass kicked, forcing Germany to divert forces and delay the invasion by two months. When he invaded, Army Group South was encountering more resistance than expected and Hitler diverted the panzers form Army Group Centre and delaying their attack on Moscow. Army Group South got through the resistance before the panzers could be used, a total waste.
well the diversion to Kiev of Gudarians panzer corps had to be done if they wanted to encircle the front around Kiev and was a vital part in the plan, whether that was the ultimate mistake or not is debatable but there failure to take moscow was more to do with the depleted strength of there forces from the heavy losses through the campaign and there over stretched logistics rather then from the weather but that had its effect as well.

the winter and scorched earth was what caused napoleons army to fall apart. there are stories from soldiers in both winter 1812 and 1941 that would make your hair stand on end!

Oct 2011
Wyoming, USA
well the diversion to Kiev of Gudarians panzer corps had to be done if they wanted to encircle the front around Kiev and was a vital part in the plan, whether that was the ultimate mistake or not is debatable but there failure to take moscow was more to do with the depleted strength of there forces from the heavy losses through the campaign and there over stretched logistics rather then from the weather but that had its effect as well.

the winter and scorched earth was what caused napoleons army to fall apart. there are stories from soldiers in both winter 1812 and 1941 that would make your hair stand on end!
I think Germany's fault was that it had shitty alliances that dragged it into conflicts it didn't want (Italy into Greece and North Africa. Japan into the United States)