Similarities between Napoleon and Hitler

Sep 2010
Somewhere in the former First French Empire
It's clear that something that both treacherous megalomaniac universal conqueror wannabes doesn't have in common are some fans :) :) :cool:
Sylla it's really childlike to compare these two man. Next to that I am certainly not a Napoleon fan, but a Napoleon admirer and study him most of the time I spend on history (which is much).

Hmmmm Sylla don't you find it odd? Napoleon is beloved in his country while Hitler is hated? Hmmmm... we can't use pretext that Napoleon lived 200 years ago since Napoleon was beloved even immediatly after his death and Bonapartism (when it still had the meaning of wanting back the Bonaparts) took the hold of France for dozens of years , while Hitler was despised immediatly after his death and hasn't been beloved ever since.

Dec 2009
Sylla it's really childlike to compare these two man. Next to that I am certainly not a Napoleon fan, but a Napoleon admirer and study him most of the time I spend on history (which is much).

Hmmmm Sylla don't you find it odd? Napoleon is beloved in his country while Hitler is hated? Hmmmm... we can't use pretext that Napoleon lived 200 years ago since Napoleon was beloved even immediatly after his death and Bonapartism (when it still had the meaning of wanting back the Bonaparts) took the hold of France for dozens of years , while Hitler was despised immediatly after his death and hasn't been beloved ever since.
Love is an irrational emotion, especially when mixed with misguided nationalism.

Sep 2010
Somewhere in the former First French Empire
Love is an irrational emotion, especially when mixed with misguided nationalism.
Beloved, admired etc it doesn't matter the point is that Napoleon is a respected man by both ordinary people as by historians. Say the name Napoleon on the street. What do you get? Short, hand in vest, code Napoleon, Russia, St Helena, last names, metric system. Say the name Hitler on the street. What do you get? Genocyde, jews, madman, mustache, Russia, SS. Quite a difference won't you agree?

Oct 2010
London, UK
The two have nothing in common how rediculous. Napoleon is beloved while Hitler is hated. Hitler may have seen Napoleon as example, but that proves nothing. Since Hitler was also an admirer of Frederick the Great, Wagner etc.
It was just a thought; a juxtaposition of two European dictators in my head. I only brought this up for some discussion - calm down.

SPERRO

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
North East England
It was just a thought; a juxtaposition of two European dictators in my head. I only brought this up for some discussion - calm down.
From a purely military point of view, one thought he had the attributes of the other.:)

Dec 2009
Beloved, admired etc it doesn't matter the point is that Napoleon is a respected man by both ordinary people as by historians. Say the name Napoleon on the street. What do you get? Short, hand in vest, code Napoleon, Russia, St Helena, last names, metric system. Say the name Hitler on the street. What do you get? Genocyde, jews, madman, mustache, Russia, SS. Quite a difference won't you agree?
Indeed; overstating the evident, love is an irrational emotion, especially when mixed with misguided nationalism.

Both megalomaniac universal conqueror wannabes left Europe in a colossal bloodbath and decades-long excruciating pain just for their personal delirious ambition.

Your point being?

Aug 2010
Central Macedonia
Well, to be honest, they were not even close.... Hitler was the reason 50 million people died. Napoleon had much less blood in his hands... Moreover, Hitler is hated by many more people than Napoleon.