simplistic european approach in defining Taj Mahal architecture and its re evaluation?

Mar 2019
KL
I would say Indo-Islamic mix of Taj Mahal is somewhere in the 20/80 range, with 20 being Indian. The overall impression one gets seeing the Taj is not of Hindu or Buddhist setting.
based on what?

i dont like categorization of indian architecture on hindu and buddhist terms, there are rajput palaces, there are even ahom palaces, there are also nepalese architecture which too has been given a colour of islamic or mughal influence, based on what evidences are they declared islamic?

if taj mahal is 20/80 range islamic than what about rajput architecture and based on what proofs you give 20/80 range

i think what we are dealing here is an educational and scholarly dilemma.

regards

Jul 2012
Dhaka
i think that instead of architect, we should objective analyse where the architecture tend to be, indian or persian

here is what's written in wikipedia

the name of the chief architect gives last name as ''Lahori'' from Lahore which was in india, and even though the full bio isn't available, he has been declared as ''persian'' i dont know how and why, even if he is a persian and persian bred, still i think that architecture isnt persian but indian based on architectural analysis, if it was persian, first of all there would be no four towers, no platform, no chattri, no lotus flower on dome, no marble cladding instead of ceramic tiles etc, and the stuff which is never followed in iran.

the architecture is clearly made for an indian taste and not persian taste.

regards
Here: Ustad Ahmad Lahauri

Place of birth: Badakhshan (Afghanistan/Tajikistan/China).
D.o.b: 1580 CE.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Batu | Mongol ruler

EB presents Batu Khan - founder of the Golden Horde as a german, slav or celtic looking person..lol
Bleda, you are providing here false information.

From the link that you posted:

“Batu, (died c. 1255, Russia), grandson of Genghis Khan and founder of the Khanate of Kipchak, or the Golden Horde.

In 1235 Batu was elected commander in chief of the western part of the Mongol empire and was given responsibility for the invasion of Europe. By 1240 he had conquered all of Russia. In the campaign in central Europe, one Mongol army defeated Henry II, Duke of Silesia (now in Poland), on April 9, 1241; another army led by Batu himself defeated the Hungarians two days later.

With Poland, Bohemia, Hungary, and the Danube valley under his control, Batu was poised for the invasion of western Europe when he received news of the death of the head of the Mongol empire, the great khan Ögödei (December 1241). In order to participate in the choice of a successor, Batu withdrew his army, saving Europe from probable devastation. He established the state of the Golden Horde in southern Russia, which was ruled by his successors for the next 200 years. In 1240 Batu’s army sacked and burned Kiev, then the major city in Russia. Under the Golden Horde, the centre of Russian national life gradually moved from Kiev to Moscow.

This article was most recently revised and updated by Amy Tikkanen, Corrections Manager.”

In the top left corner we can read “Batu, Mongol Ruler”.

So where does Britannica presents Batu as a German, Slav or Celtic looking person? Only for those who didn’t read the article, or don’t want to read the article or aren’t being serious.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Mr.Ashoka, great presentation on architecture comparisons. Are we redundant by saying, that Indian civilization, and especially
that of Indus Valley predates even Egypt by little and all Europe has to offer from that time. Persia came long after Indus Valley was gone from the annals of history.Everything should be in reverse order - India to Persia and beyond.

And since Im from an European heritage, a word of caution is in order - treat everything from Europe with a grain of salt.
Case in point...look at the links provided below - one from Encyclopedia Britannica and the other from the much superior
Wikipedia from the US

View attachment 19354

Batu | Mongol ruler

EB presents Batu Khan - founder of the Golden Horde as a german, slav or celtic looking person..lol

Let's see how the American Wikipedia shows Batu Khan

Batu Khan - Wikipedia

View attachment 19357

View attachment 19358

Beware of political correctness and bias in everything
Oh dear, oh dear, more nonsense about Eurocentrism. The statue of him that you post of him as showing Eurocentric bias is - Turkish! It is in Söğüt . And you then argue from the comparison with the Chinese picture shown in Wikipedia that Wikipedia is superior to the Encyclopedia Britannica, evidently believing that the latter is British and the former American. But the Encyclopedia Britannica has in fact been edited in America since the beginning of the last century! (And it is based on consistently sound scholarship whereas Wikipedia is compiled by amateurs and varies in quality.)

Jul 2012
Dhaka
so why is he called lahori instead of badakhshani, isnt his name clear enough that guy was identified as an indian what ever his linguistic and ethnic background maybe?

regards
Don't know, may be he was from a village named Lahour/Lahaur in Badakhshan, or may be he had settled in Lahore and took its name to distinguish his name from his compatriots?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
And it is based on consistently sound scholarship whereas Wikipedia is compiled by amateurs and varies in quality.
Agreed, except, as far as I know, that Britannica is not written anymore by Scholars, Linschoten. Unfortunately internet destroyed Britannica. The entries are edited by staff that can be Academics, or probably not. I have an edition of the 70’s and the quality is quite good comparing with the online edition.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Agreed, except, as far as I know, that Britannica is not written anymore by Scholars, Linschoten. Unfortunately internet destroyed Britannica. The entries are edited by staff that can be Academics, or probably not. I have an edition of the 70’s and the quality is quite good comparing with the online edition.
I'm sorry to hear that, I haven't looked at the online edition; I used to have a set from the 1960s and it was really good in those days, many of the entries being written by leading scholars.

Similar History Discussions