simplistic european approach in defining Taj Mahal architecture and its re evaluation?

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
based on what?

i dont like categorization of indian architecture on hindu and buddhist terms, there are rajput palaces, there are even ahom palaces, there are also nepalese architecture which too has been given a colour of islamic or mughal influence, based on what evidences are they declared islamic?

if taj mahal is 20/80 range islamic than what about rajput architecture and based on what proofs you give 20/80 range

i think what we are dealing here is an educational and scholarly dilemma.

regards
Based on common sense.
Excessive nationalism is blinding. Excessive religious nationalism is even more blinding. Such thinking makes it difficult to separate the forest from the trees.

Muslim Turkish rulers of India were persianized, and had high regard for everything Persian and contempt for things Indian. So I don't get how they would have build monumental structures so Indian in character. I have never seen anyone describing Taj Mahal as an example of native Indian architecture with only minor Islamic influence.

May 2019
Earth
Rajasthan, w.Gujarat, Malwa etc are one of the least muslim influenced regions in India as Rajput tribes have colonised these places heavily.

When one visited the forts built by these Rajput warriors he or she can easily notice similarities between mughal and Rajput Architecture.

Mughal, Taj, Fatahpur dikri, red fort are just Rip off of Rajputana architecture.

Apr 2019
India
Muslim Turkish rulers of India were persianized, and had high regard for everything Persian and contempt for things Indian. So I don't get how they would have build monumental structures so Indian in character. I have never seen anyone describing Taj Mahal as an example of native Indian architecture with only minor Islamic influence.
Mughals always considered themselves Turani(Turks) and thought Hindustanis were second grade citizens. Their ancestors were warring nomads who were uncultured that's why they have to adopt Persian culture and language as they considered Indian inferior. Afterall their idol was Timur who made innocent Indian people shudder by his brutality. Although they adopted many Indian cultural aspects with time. Although Taj is a beautiful monument but Shahjahan's examplary extravagance was quenched by starving his subjects.

Mar 2019
KL
Mughals always considered themselves Turani(Turks) and thought Hindustanis were second grade citizens. Their ancestors were warring nomads who were uncultured that's why they have to adopt Persian culture and language as they considered Indian inferior. Afterall their idol was Timur who made innocent Indian people shudder by his brutality. Although they adopted many Indian cultural aspects with time. Although Taj is a beautiful monument but Shahjahan's examplary extravagance was quenched by starving his subjects.
in spain, there were similar systems where arabs were considered the top of the system and rest of the muslims considered at lower levels, what has this got to do with moorish architecture which derived heavily from the pre islamic spanish roman architecture? if turanis were considered highest, then obviously the persians were considered lower than turanis werent they?

regards

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions