since when Indo-Aryans started to burning their Dead instead of burying ?

Dec 2018
India
i have seen some graves in central Asia that shows that indo-aryans used to bury their dead like another races but later they started to burn their dead bodies, can someone give me the reason for this change ?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
:) When they got wiser. Perhaps after coming to India or just before that (i.e., when they might have been in Afghanistan, Ariana). That saves on wastage of land. In many pl;aces, there is no more land for graves, Delhi being an example. It is not that the dead in the graves are ever going to rise again. Cremation is gaining ground even in Western countries.

Last edited:
Jun 2017
usa
There are burial sites and cremation sites in the Indus valley. The cremation sites are noted in later part of the Indus Valley Civilization. This corroborates well with what is written in the Rig Veda. The Rig Veda describes both burial and cremation rituals. This is one more evidence proving that the Vedic Aryans were part of the Indus Valley civilization.

Last edited:
Sep 2014
Texas
The Norse and early Greeks also burnt their dead and a female accompanier like the Vedic Indians did. Cremation among the Norse was a warrior's way out.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
:) When they got wiser. Perhaps after coming to India or just before that (i.e., when they might have been in Afghanistan, Ariana). That saves on wastage of land. In many pl;aces, there is no more land for graves, Delhi being an example. It is not that the dead in the graves are ever going to rise again. Cremation is gaining ground even in Western countries.
... and new technologies ;

. Resomation – already available in parts of the US and Australia – is a liquefaction process which uses alkaline hydrolysis to dissolve the body’s organic matter inside a steel container. The result is a sterile liquid, and bones which can be crushed and given to the deceased’s family (similar to post-cremation ashes).

Promession is at a more developmental stage, and uses liquid nitrogen to super-cool the body before the brittle remains are shattered using ultrasonic vibration. The result: an odourless, organic residue which becomes a dry powder when the water content is evaporated off, and turns to compost when buried in a small bio-degradable container.

Anyway, back to the ( two ? ) question ; 'Since when' (as per thread title) ; cremation in India ( 'Indo-Aryans' ?) where first attested in archaeological evidence at Bronze Age 'Cemetery H Cuture dating from about 1900BC - the formative stage of Vedic civilization.

'The reason for change' ; There was no change , the Aryans before the 'Indo Aryans' also cremated their dead.

You need to refine your question and use better terms , perhaps you meant why and when did customs change in India from burial to cremation ?

If you did mean outside India - in Central Asia, can we really call these people 'Indo-Aryans ' ? If you DID mean the Aryans in Central Asia then they practiced BOTH burial and cremation .

Also, back then, the Aryans where not the only people in Central Asia .

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA

. Resomation – already available in parts of the US and Australia – is a liquefaction process which uses alkaline hydrolysis to dissolve the body’s organic matter inside a steel container. The result is a sterile liquid, and bones which can be crushed and given to the deceased’s family (similar to post-cremation ashes).

Promession is at a more developmental stage, and uses liquid nitrogen to super-cool the body before the brittle remains are shattered using ultrasonic vibration. The result: an odourless, organic residue which becomes a dry powder when the water content is evaporated off, and turns to compost when buried in a small bio-degradable container.

Anyway, back to the ( two ? ) question ; 'Since when' (as per thread title) ; cremation in India ( 'Indo-Aryans' ?) where first attested in archaeological evidence at Bronze Age 'Cemetery H Cuture dating from about 1900BC - the formative stage of Vedic civilization.

'The reason for change' ; There was no change , the Aryans before the 'Indo Aryans' also cremated their dead.

You need to refine your question and use better terms , perhaps you meant why and when did customs change in India from burial to cremation ?

If you did mean outside India - in Central Asia, can we really call these people 'Indo-Aryans ' ? If you DID mean the Aryans in Central Asia then they practiced BOTH burial and cremation .

The formative stage of Vedic civilization was not in 1900 BCE. Now for the rest of the points.

As to cremation, there are different forms of funerary practices found in the IVC sites, both primary burial and secondary burial forms. In case of secondary burials, the remains after burning the body were stored in urns along with other burial goods.

And now FYI, these burials are in mature Harappan phase and before that, and I'm sure you know are from 2600 BCE or before. As to the funerary practices that were found during excavation find mention in the sutras. In Rig Veda, a clear mention is made of both cremation and burial.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India

Vedas actually mentions both cremation and burying as being practiced. It seems burying being abandoned in later period.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Vedas actually mentions both cremation and burying as being practiced. It seems burying being abandoned in later period.
I know ... thats why I wrote " If you DID mean the Aryans in Central Asia then they practiced BOTH burial and cremation . "

Although by using the term 'Indo Aryan' confuses things a little - so i assume it means after the Ayans came into India and / or after the 'Indo-Iranian split' . I am assuming the practice of both forms came into India with them. As far as it being abandoned in later period perhaps post 2 has some hints ?

I find the why issue more interesting than the 'when' . Perhaps there was some religious reason ?

Another interesting point ( considering the ' Indo-Iranian Aryans' ) how and why ( and may as well pose , when) did the Iranian funeral practice become so different.

We seem to have more on record (as far as I know) regarding the dynamics in Iran ;

" However, according to the researchers, even in Zoroastrian texts, there are indications that a significant number of people opposed the change in funeral practices, which resulted in penalties ... "

Sky Burial; Ancient Tradition of Iran’s Zoroastrians

Jun 2017
usa
I know ... thats why I wrote " If you DID mean the Aryans in Central Asia then they practiced BOTH burial and cremation . "

Although by using the term 'Indo Aryan' confuses things a little - so i assume it means after the Ayans came into India and / or after the 'Indo-Iranian split' . I am assuming the practice of both forms came into India with them. As far as it being abandoned in later period perhaps post 2 has some hints ?

I find the why issue more interesting than the 'when' . Perhaps there was some religious reason ?

Another interesting point ( considering the ' Indo-Iranian Aryans' ) how and why ( and may as well pose , when) did the Iranian funeral practice become so different.

We seem to have more on record (as far as I know) regarding the dynamics in Iran ;

" However, according to the researchers, even in Zoroastrian texts, there are indications that a significant number of people opposed the change in funeral practices, which resulted in penalties ... "

Sky Burial; Ancient Tradition of Iran’s Zoroastrians
The Vedas as we know talk only of the Sapta SIndhu area so where does central asia come into the picture? Indus sites have both burial and cremation sites.