since when Indo-Aryans started to burning their Dead instead of burying ?

Jul 2017
Sydney
What basically seems to have happened is that the Ugric people seem to have branched off first when PIU (proto Indo Ugric) people were still in north India or close to it

Rest of the splits within the Indo-European branch happened afterwards

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
You may check on Corded Ware culture - Wikipedia. You see, IE influence reached everywhere.

"This latter fact together with an importance of horse motifs in Ob-Ugric folklore has been used to argue for locating Proto-Ugric in the southernmost parts of Siberia, in close contact with nomadic steppe peoples if not nomadic themselves. Some loanwords from such sources into Ugric are known as well, perhaps most prominently the numeral '7': *θäpt(V) → H hét,[note 1] M сат /sat/, Kh тапәт /tapət/ (from an Indo-Iranian source; cf. Sanskrit saptá, Avestan hapta, both from Proto-Indo-Iranian *saptá < Proto-Indo-European *septḿ̥)."
Ugric languages - Wikipedia, Uralic - Wikipedia (Eskimo–Uralic languages, Indo-Uralic languages, Proto-Uralic language)
OK, what is the character *s in *saptá?

And what is this root *septḿ̥? How does that root yield Sapta?

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
I have already given the Sanskrit meaning of 'Aranya'. It is not just 'forest' but 'desert' also. Any place not useful or uninhabited, not generally visited by people. Kindly check that in Sanskrit dictionaries. One of the best is spokensankrit.de, which includes Prof. Apte's Sanskrit Dictionary.
Aranya derives from the root "R" (R of Rshi), which means movement. Aranya is used in Rig Veda to denote sticks or wood, not sand. Let's take an example from Rig Veda:

RV 7.1.1 (Rshi Vasishta)

Agnim narO dIdhItibhiraraNyOrhasta chyutI janayanta prashastam
dUrEdrsham grhapatimatharyum

Men generate the excellent, far gleaming master of the mansion, the accessible Agni, present in the two sticks (araNi or kAshTa) by attrition with their fingers.

The place that produces araNi is araNya (forest produces wood, not sand). I do not know where that secondary meaning of desert comes from. But certainly it is used as forest in Rig Veda. There are more hymns but I think this and following one should suffice.

RV 1.163.11 (Rshi DIrghatamas)

tava sharIram patayishNvarvantava chitas vAta iva dhrajImAn
tava shrngANi vishTitA purutrAraNyEshu jarbhurANA charanti

Your body, horse (arvan), is expansive in motion, your mind is rapid as the wind, the hairs of your mane(shrngANi) are tossed in manifold directions, and spread beautiful in the forests.

You were asking about the etymology of the river marudvrdhE. Here it is:

marudhvrdhE: marut + vrdhE = one that swells by wind.

See how the rivers are named with proper etymology. And these names are used throughout the subcontinent. The river Ganga is derived from the "gamlr" dhAtu (root) that indicates movement. That clown Witzel claims it is a para Munda word. These para, proto kind of terminologies, although have a correct meaning, they have been abused by clowns such as Witzel.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
OK, what is the character *s in *saptá? And what is this root *septḿ̥? How does that root yield Sapta?
Search and find, and let us know. :)
My thinking is that Uralic and Indo-European are not too different and may have originated in the same region. I may be wrong, I have not given much thought to it. I do not know whether Indo-European orginated in left or right of Urals.

Oct 2018
Bangalore,India
Search and find, and let us know. :)
My thinking is that Uralic and Indo-European are not too different and may have originated in the same region. I may be wrong, I have not given much thought to it. I do not know whether Indo-European orginated in left or right of Urals.
In all possibility Proto Indo-Europeans originated in the Steppes that's just above Crimea of today in Ukraine and the homeland expands to the Western Borders of Kazakhstan in the East and the border of the Danube valley in the West. Uralic homelands wouldn't be very far considering the clustering of those languages. Probably somewhere little bit North of the Indo-European Urheimat is the Uralic Urheimat. Afro-Asiatic Urheimat is contested. If it is in the South Caucasus region as some hypotheses put it,it could have made some influence. However the chances of Afro-Asiatic is remote.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Deserts too have their vegetation and desert people would use that to ignite fire. You do not seem to know things beyond your preferred books.

We are talking about araNya where the Vedic people found deer, elephant, peacocks, etc.. Your argument reminds me of grammatical jugglary that the Tatva VAdis engaged to distort the meaning of Upanishat vAkya "Tat tvam asi".

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
In all possibility Proto Indo-Europeans originated in the Steppes that's just above Crimea of today in Ukraine and the homeland expands to the Western Borders of Kazakhstan in the East and the border of the Danube valley in the West. Uralic homelands wouldn't be very far considering the clustering of those languages. Probably somewhere little bit North of the Indo-European Urheimat is the Uralic Urheimat. Afro-Asiatic Urheimat is contested. If it is in the South Caucasus region as some hypotheses put it,it could have made some influence. However the chances of Afro-Asiatic is remote.
IE languages originated in India, the land of AryAs.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Last edited:
Jul 2017
Sydney
The problem with IE Urheimat in the steppe is that it isn't consistent with the Sanskrit loan-words in either east Africa or north Europe (say Finland)

The reasons are multi-fold
1) the migration that led to bos Indicus reaching east Africa with Sanskrit loan-words is too ancient (Shriner's 2016 paper puts it when Arabs and Europeans still had common ancestors in middle and near East) and straightaway contradicts an Urheimat in the steppes

2) if the Urheimat was in steppes, the Indo Iranian would have formed to its south and as you said Finno Ugric or Uralic to the north. But as shown by Burrow, the Finno Ugric has loan words not from Iranic but Indo-Aryan. Once again, we are unable to rationalize how this took place

Similar History Discussions