since when Indo-Aryans started to burning their Dead instead of burying ?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Ganga and Yamuna were known rivers, and Vasishta's hymns mention Yamuna. You should study Rig Veda first.
You need to find whether they always knew of Ganga and Yamuna or came to know of them at a later period of time. Vasishthas came to know of Ganga and Yamuna only after they reached India. Previously, they knew only of Argandhab (Harahvaiti) and Hari-Rud (Haroyu). And prior to that, perhaps they did not even know these rivers.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I didn't deny YAska, I didn't deny PANini and I didn't deny SAyaNa. How dare I? I only denied Mueller, Griffith, Tilak to name a few.
I deny none of them, neither Indians nor the foreigners. Each had knowledge according to their time, and knowledge grows. Aristotle did not know what Newton knew, and Newton did not know what Einstein knew and Einstein did not know what Planck knew. I understand what Yaska, Panini or Sayana (my homage to them) did not know why they did not know it. I do not disrespect Indian acharyas like you disrespect the foreign Indologists.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
What a lush green jungle like background that desert has ! Its like the ' desert ' ends in a straight line. just over that wall .... I mean 'sandhill' .... and instantly its jungle !
This is not an evergreen forest. This is Prosoporia Ceneraria (Khejari), the state tree of Rajasthan. That can be very green after rains. I think this is a horse breeding farm belonging to a person from erstwhile Royal families, that is why the boundary wall. Rajasthan desert (Thar) is not devoid of greenery.

Jaisalmer

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
The last bit you've said is very convenient for your point of view but it's far from the truth. By saying in one sentence that there is a mix of old and new hymns in all Mandalas, you've basically given yourself room to reject all evidence related to flora and fauna from the RV.
You see, it is like this: When Aryans were in Central Asia, 'nyagrodha' was a fig tree; when they came to India, 'nyagrodha' was used for the banyan tree. Both belong to the same family, Ficus. I remember of a hymn in RigVeda where the village people assembled under a 'nyagrodha' tree, and in India, Rishis sat under the banyan trees. What is mentioned in RigVeda as 'nyagrodha' can mean both.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I've consulted Pargiter on this and I stand by my conclusion that the Bharatas (led by Sudasa) were in Panchala, east of the Yamuna, before the battle of ten kings. That's how we see Yamuna in that verse.
No, I differ with that. The battle was fought on the banks of Ravi. The enemy numbered some 6,000. Sudasa's army was even less than this. Sudasa was retreating and might have been defeated had not the flood in Ravi saved him. An emperor whose empire stretched from East of Yamuna to beyond Ravi would not have had an army of less even then 6,000 soldiers. Sudasa was petty king.

The verse has been written at a later time when Trtsus might have moved to Yamuna region to impress a descendant of Sudasa citing the enormous gifts given by Sudasa to Vasishthas of that time (including fifty young women as wives) so that the descendant may also give good gifts to the current Vasishtha. It is a 'Dan-stuti', it is all about 'dakshina'. Vasishtha is a clan name and not always the name of a Rishi. Since I am an Aupamanyav (supposedly a descendant of Sage Upamanyu who was son of Vyaghrapda of the Vasishtha line), I can also use the Vasishtha clan name.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
You need to find whether they always knew of Ganga and Yamuna or came to know of them at a later period of time. Vasishthas came to know of Ganga and Yamuna only after they reached India. Previously, they knew only of Argandhab (Harahvaiti) and Hari-Rud (Haroyu). And prior to that, perhaps they did not even know these rivers.
Stop this nonsense. There's only a handful of Vasishtas from three generations that composed the hymns.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
I deny none of them, neither Indians nor the foreigners. Each had knowledge according to their time, and knowledge grows. Aristotle did not know what Newton knew, and Newton did not know what Einstein knew and Einstein did not know what Planck knew. I understand what Yaska, Panini or Sayana (my homage to them) did not know why they did not know it. I do not disrespect Indian acharyas like you disrespect the foreign Indologists.
Foreign Indologists in general are parasites and their works are not worthy of any respect. Real terrorists are much easier to deal with than to deal with these sly intellectual terrorists.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
You see, it is like this: When Aryans were in Central Asia, 'nyagrodha' was a fig tree; when they came to India, 'nyagrodha' was used for the banyan tree. Both belong to the same family, Ficus. I remember of a hymn in RigVeda where the village people assembled under a 'nyagrodha' tree, and in India, Rishis sat under the banyan trees. What is mentioned in RigVeda as 'nyagrodha' can mean both.
Nyagrodha is Indian fig tree. By the way, what is the La La land language equivalent of the name Nyagrodha?

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
No, I differ with that. The battle was fought on the banks of Ravi. The enemy numbered some 6,000. Sudasa's army was even less than this. Sudasa was retreating and might have been defeated had not the flood in Ravi saved him. An emperor whose empire stretched from East of Yamuna to beyond Ravi would not have had an army of less even then 6,000 soldiers. Sudasa was petty king.

The verse has been written at a later time when Trtsus might have moved to Yamuna region to impress a descendant of Sudasa citing the enormous gifts given by Sudasa to Vasishthas of that time (including fifty young women as wives) so that the descendant may also give good gifts to the current Vasishtha. It is a 'Dan-stuti', it is all about 'dakshina'. Vasishtha is a clan name and not always the name of a Rishi. Since I am an Aupamanyav (supposedly a descendant of Sage Upamanyu who was son of Vyaghrapda of the Vasishtha line), I can also use the Vasishtha clan name.
Wohoo, so now you started the campaign of saying that some select hymns from Rig Veda were recomposed later in a different geography!

There is something called honesty...

Anybody with a little bit of that would not hesitate to agree that three generations of Vasishtas saw both the Eastern and Western rivers. Why do you even bother to repeat many VasishtAs. Let's take this challenge: Quote the VasishtAs in Rig Veda, and let's see how much you say stands up to scrutiny.

Jul 2017
Sydney
We can't use guesswork to fit data into our theories

Such baseless presumptions don't deserve any merit. If you're serious about this, quote that hymn here and we'll see if the context fits India or Central Asia and if there is a fig tree or a banyan tree mentioned in there

I wonder what caused the disappearance of all Brahmins who could chant RV hymns from Central Asia. There should be at least one refuge surviving somewhere. The very fact that there is nobody outside India who prior to the British discovering this literature knew a single verse that could be called Vedic shows it is very much a home-grown, indigenous tradition

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions