Size of a medieval army

Apr 2018
Italy
20-30.000 men for armies rised to conquer a land, less for chevaunchee. Feudal countries didn't have the logist and fiscal capacity to rise huge armies.

Oct 2011
Croatia
Agreed. Interesting theme.

I am also fond of necromancy! This thread had more than 7 years!
Just for future use:

Regarding topic, I believe that major limitation with medieval - and all premodern - armies was one of supply. They often lived off land, which meant that any single army (or detachment) was limited in size by the area of the land they could gather supplies from. That being said, Roman Empire had developed supply apparatus, and even there armies were generally in 20.000 - 40.000 range.

Reactions: Tulius

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Regarding topic, I believe that major limitation with medieval - and all premodern - armies was one of supply. They often lived off land, which meant that any single army (or detachment) was limited in size by the area of the land they could gather supplies from. That being said, Roman Empire had developed supply apparatus, and even there armies were generally in 20.000 - 40.000 range.
Supply and communications (good roads or lack of). The Romans had both in Iberia. Nobody after could really do it to any great degree and many Iberian battles of the medieval age were actually of relatively low numbers, however glorious the accounts

Reactions: Picard