Small armies of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars

Feb 2019
Madrid, Spain
I am interested in less-known and small armies of the 1792-1815 period, such as the ones of Sardinian Kingdom, United Provinces Republic, Kingdom of Naples and Sicily, Old Swiss Confederation, Sweden, Denmark-Norway, Spain, Portugal, German states and this sort of things. I would like to know more about their uniforms and weapons. If you know about this topic, and specially if you have photos, please write. I will like to discuss it.

Feb 2016
Japan
Though the British and Austrian militaries are my chief Napoleonic interests I also have a lot of interest in Brunswick, Nassau, Portuguese, Spanish and Bavarians.
Swedes and Danish are of interest but information in English is less available.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I am interested in less-known and small armies of the 1792-1815 period, such as the ones of Sardinian Kingdom, United Provinces Republic, Kingdom of Naples and Sicily, Old Swiss Confederation, Sweden, Denmark-Norway, Spain, Portugal, German states and this sort of things. I would like to know more about their uniforms and weapons. If you know about this topic, and specially if you have photos, please write. I will like to discuss it.
Hi/Hola Constantino,

Do you read in Portuguese?

The Napoleonic period is usually out of my concern, but here you have an interesting working paper about the Portuguese Ca├žadores, the light infantry, and their evolution until 1814:

https://comum.rcaap.pt/bitstream/10400.26/6921/1/Asp Teixeira.pdf

I have something about uniforms (well not photos), but my e-library is a mess.

Edit:

Added 3 pdf files in Spanish (I saw that you are from Madrid) about the Spanish Army and the Portuguese and Anglo-Portuguese Army

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 2009
Osprey publishing has several older volumes on the armies of "Napoleon's German Allies." There is one on the armies of Westphalia and Kleve-Berg, and one on the Bavarian army (I have therm somewhere in a box of books).

From Googling Osprey, Napoleon's German Allies, it looks like there are five books (Hesse, Nassau & Oldenburg; Saxony; and the two above). There also appear to be separate volumes on Spain and Portugal. The illustrations seem to be much better in recent editions.

Osprey is where to go for what you want.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011

Similar History Discussions