Small historical events that you are really fond of

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Probably not. My grandmother told me during the Great Depression they just crumpled up the morning newspaper to make it as soft as possible and used that. We just don't know how good we have it today, even the poor here. History gives perspective.
Were there no showers either?

Mar 2016
Australia
I am not good enough with that period of English history, but wasn't the Tudor period you describe followed by Cromwell and a civil war between King and Parliament establishing more or less the beginnings of the current, more castrated version of British monarchy? Or are you saying that inheritance problems/ particulars of bad policy/ chance was the deciding factor in sparking Civil War?
No, the problems that led to the English Civil War and Cromwell's rise had their inception in the Stuart dynasty's rule, where a lot of tension arose when James and then his son Charles tried to force new and highly controversial religious doctrines on Scotland, and both of them (hell, all of the Stuarts) had an absolutist streak in their personality that the Tudors did not. James I was a hardcore absolutist and believer in the divine right of kings, and he taught his son Charles to believe in this entirely. No such fanatical views on government existed with the Tudor monarchs, who ever since Henry VII were fundamentally pragmatic and willing to compromise and work with Parliament, even Henry VIII (in fact it was during Henry VIII's reign, and specifically the time in office of Thomas Cromwell as de facto prime minister, that the House of Commons became the undisputed leader of making and passing legislation). It's unfair to blame the Tudors for the massive failings of the Stuarts, since they were from different countries with very different cultures and views on governance. I'm sure Elizabeth would have worked harder to procure another heir if she knew that within a few decades England would be engulfed in civil war.

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
No, the problems that led to the English Civil War and Cromwell's rise had their inception in the Stuart dynasty's rule, where a lot of tension arose when James and then his son Charles tried to force new and highly controversial religious doctrines on Scotland, and both of them (hell, all of the Stuarts) had an absolutist streak in their personality that the Tudors did not. James I was a hardcore absolutist and believer in the divine right of kings, and he taught his son Charles to believe in this entirely. No such fanatical views on government existed with the Tudor monarchs, who ever since Henry VII were fundamentally pragmatic and willing to compromise and work with Parliament, even Henry VIII (in fact it was during Henry VIII's reign, and specifically the time in office of Thomas Cromwell as de facto prime minister, that the House of Commons became the undisputed leader of making and passing legislation). It's unfair to blame the Tudors for the massive failings of the Stuarts, since they were from different countries with very different cultures and views on governance. I'm sure Elizabeth would have worked harder to procure another heir if she knew that within a few decades England would be engulfed in civil war.
Right!

I see your point. Obviously if you take in semi-foreigners with different political cultures that can be troublesome. We broke free from the Kalmar Union in the 1500s for similar reasons, with the aristocracy and the freeborn peasantry not feeling their rights was being respected by the Danish monarchs (and then proceeded to create a more centralized and arguably somewhat authoritarian government ourselves in the next century). We also had a half-polish king in the form of Sigismund for a while, that didn't end too well...

Arguably though I suppose one could say that this is a risk with giving more powers to monarchs, as there will always be a risk for dynastic problems. I.e. the Stuart's would not have been put on the throne to begin with if there wasn't a throne to be had...

Similar History Discussions