Soccer and Homosexuality

Nov 2016
Germany
The German neo-Marxist sociologist Gerhard Vinnai, a soccer fan, recognizes in soccer a way unconscious homosexual tendencies are lived out. For me, this seems to explain why female soccer - despite all media efforts - cannot prevail. In my eyes, (professionally playing) female soccer players have something ridiculous about them, although I do like women in all other sports. How do you see it?

An excerpt from Vinnai´s soccer study "Eigentore – Zur ideologischen Funktion des Fußballsports" (Own goals - The ideological function of soccer) from 2007:

(my translation)

Football as a sport among men lives from a latent homosexuality. The desire to experience physical closeness and contact with other men can be lived out on the field, hidden behind passionate duels. Here, men "do" it with men who, after proving their potency to other men by scoring a goal, can throw themselves at each other with relish. For "real fans" soccer goes to the dogs when there are too many women in the stadium. At the same time, the homosexual elements of this activity must be strictly tabooed. An openly homosexual football player scares his fellow players because he questions these taboos. A homosexual professional footballer who would reveal his sexual inclinations would have to end his career. There is a strong homophobia in soccer, which makes the difficult coming out of homosexual teenagers more difficult.

This reminds me of FBI boss J. Edgar Hoover, who was probably rightly said to have a strong homosexual inclination and who was known to aggressively persecute homosexuals.

Last edited:
Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
In my eyes, (professionally playing) female soccer players have something ridiculous about them, although I do like women in all other sports. How do you see it?

Football as a sport among men lives from a latent homosexuality. The desire to experience physical closeness and contact with other men can be lived out on the field, hidden behind passionate duels. Here, men "do" it with men who, after proving their potency to other men by scoring a goal, can throw themselves at each other with relish. For "real fans" soccer goes to the dogs when there are too many women in the stadium.
I for one could not disagree more. I also enjoy women's football. I like how, unlike other sports, women play on the same field, with the same goals, and use the same ball. Obviously the women's game isn't nearly as fast, but women vs women is entertaining for me.

I don't really follow the idea that footballers are acting out homoerotic fantasies. I certainly give it zero credence. If there are mem who desire to act out such fantasies, I would most expect to find them among this crowd;
imagesGSWJ41Z5.jpg
Although, I don't think they are acting out such fantasies regardless of orientation.

Thinking about your source and the fact that it is German, he may be somewhat accidentally on to something. In fact, this is why I don't enjoy watching Bundesliga. That is, there seems to be more bad dramatic acting and histrionics in that league than anywhere else in the world. Just last Saturday, I was yelling at my TV for the complete fakery of Lewandowski throughout the entire match! And the ref just rewards his childish... excuse me, flamboyant behavior! I'm sure, somewhere, Jurgen Klinsmann was grinning.

I wish that with video assisted review, they would review red cards and give the card to the actor that video evidence shows that they dove!

Jan 2017
UK
Rugby and boxing have far more physical contact, since they're less popular than football I imagine it's a bit easier to "come out" in those sports.

As for openly gay footballers, Thomas Hitzlsperger revealed his homosexuality after his retirement. Justin Fashanu came out during his playing career in the 90s (when homosexuality was far more taboo than today).

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The amusing thing about this is that the most "rude" fans of American Football [what about contacts among men in that sport?] consider soccer [as they call football] a sport for women!

Mar 2019
Kansas
The German neo-Marxist sociologist Gerhard Vinnai, a soccer fan, recognizes in soccer a way unconscious homosexual tendencies are lived out..
Nothing really could be further from the truth. Team sports are about tribalism, and elements of individual combat. For both the players and the fans.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
The German neo-Marxist sociologist Gerhard Vinnai, a soccer fan, recognizes in soccer a way unconscious homosexual tendencies are lived out. For me, this seems to explain why female soccer - despite all media efforts - cannot prevail. In my eyes, (professionally playing) female soccer players have something ridiculous about them, although I do like women in all other sports. How do you see it?

An excerpt from Vinnai´s soccer study "Eigentore – Zur ideologischen Funktion des Fußballsports" (Own goals - The ideological function of soccer) from 2007:

(my translation)

Football as a sport among men lives from a latent homosexuality. The desire to experience physical closeness and contact with other men can be lived out on the field, hidden behind passionate duels. Here, men "do" it with men who, after proving their potency to other men by scoring a goal, can throw themselves at each other with relish. For "real fans" soccer goes to the dogs when there are too many women in the stadium. At the same time, the homosexual elements of this activity must be strictly tabooed. An openly homosexual football player scares his fellow players because he questions these taboos. A homosexual professional footballer who would reveal his sexual inclinations would have to end his career. There is a strong homophobia in soccer, which makes the difficult coming out of homosexual teenagers more difficult.

This reminds me of FBI boss J. Edgar Hoover, who was probably rightly said to have a strong homosexual inclination and who was known to aggressively persecute homosexuals.
This sounds like pretentious claptrap!

Similar History Discussions