Soccer and Homosexuality

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Rugby and boxing have far more physical contact, since they're less popular than football I imagine it's a bit easier to "come out" in those sports.

As for openly gay footballers, Thomas Hitzlsperger revealed his homosexuality after his retirement. Justin Fashanu came out during his playing career in the 90s (when homosexuality was far more taboo than today).
As far as I know only one top level player and referee have come out - Gareth Thomas and Nigel Owens - both Welsh as it happens but maybe that’s coincidence. My wife occasionally makes a comment on the lines of possible homosexual tendencies when I have the rugby on and they’re really knocking hell out of each other. Not my idea of a sexual good time.

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
Sociology of sport for decades has asserted that competitive (particularly professional) sports at least like soccer/football for men is essentially ritualized warfare rather than an excuse to touch each other and be affectionate. This German fellow is just trying to earn his 15 minutes of fame with very pseudo science (pseudo social science). While we are on it there are plenty of other sports (like wrestling) that are far more intimate for men in contact. Though homophobia among fans in football is indeed present (among other things like racism and other forms of hatefulness and prejudice).

Jan 2014
Westmorland
The German neo-Marxist sociologist Gerhard Vinnai, a soccer fan, recognizes in soccer a way unconscious homosexual tendencies are lived out. For me, this seems to explain why female soccer - despite all media efforts - cannot prevail. In my eyes, (professionally playing) female soccer players have something ridiculous about them
I think this says a lot more about you than it does about women's football

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
And women playing football [soccer] are lesbian ...

Actually I see a lot of cultural blindness here.

Generally in Italy, just to say, the sports where the player uses overall the hands are considered suitable for women. This is why here we consider basketball a sport for women, like baseball or American football [they handle the ball using the hands. They can be as big as they want, but they act like women ...].

On the other side of the ocean it is substantially the other way round: women use the legs, men use the hands!

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Probably, reality is well deeper than this.

The real difference between men and women in sport is physiological and it's scientifically clear: men have got a faster metabolism than women. A part that this means that men suffer heat more than women [so, don't complain if a woman in your office doesn't want you to switch the air conditioning system on! Be a Knight: suffer for smile!], it means also that men and women play at a different level of intensity the same sport.

But ...

Sport is game.

I underline this, because sport is comparable to the activity [exercise, experiment in controlled contexts] we run when we were children: game.

Sport is an "adult childish" activity. Psychologically there is no eroticism in game and in sport. They are a form of behavioral training.

To talk about homosexuality or any sexual orientation about a sport [or a game] is substantially out of context.

Mar 2019
Kansas
My kid had a couple of openly gay kids on his high school soccer team. Wasn't a big deal to the rest of the team. Why is it a big deal to you?
Yes my ex wife and I were the only straight people in a 13 person softball squad. Didn't bother us, didn't bother the gay folk. Got within one game of a local championship. A really fun bunch to be around if the truth be told.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
And women playing football [soccer] are lesbian ...

Actually I see a lot of cultural blindness here.

Generally in Italy, just to say, the sports where the player uses overall the hands are considered suitable for women. This is why here we consider basketball a sport for women, like baseball or American football [they handle the ball using the hands. They can be as big as they want, but they act like women ...].

On the other side of the ocean it is substantially the other way round: women use the legs, men use the hands!
On which side of this divide do rugby players fall?

Similar History Discussions