Social media networks ban cheating adverts

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
This topic should be close to the hearts of forum members.

You may have seen recently news about social media and video networks banning adverts providing "essay writing services" - essentially, an invitation to cheat in academic work. You could pay some Eastern European to write you an essay to submit to your professor and get your guaranteed A grade with just a little outlay. You may have even seen a few of these adverts sneak onto Historum before we caught them. Who needs to do any work?

There has been an outcry by those social media "stars" who have had their videos blocked. "We weren't told there was anything wrong with these services before, and we spent time and money making these ads, it's not fair to remove them!".

For me, that reaction beggars belief. These people really didn't see anything wrong with promoting a service for cheating? This says everything that is wrong with the internet as it stands today.

I wonder what you guys think of this?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
This topic should be close to the hearts of forum members.

You may have seen recently news about social media and video networks banning adverts providing "essay writing services" - essentially, an invitation to cheat in academic work. You could pay some Eastern European to write you an essay to submit to your professor and get your guaranteed A grade with just a little outlay. You may have even seen a few of these adverts sneak onto Historum before we caught them. Who needs to do any work?

There has been an outcry by those social media "stars" who have had their videos blocked. "We weren't told there was anything wrong with these services before, and we spent time and money making these ads, it's not fair to remove them!".

For me, that reaction beggars belief. These people really didn't see anything wrong with promoting a service for cheating? This says everything that is wrong with the internet as it stands today.

I wonder what you guys think of this?
You see ... Italians are considered the best cheaters around the world, so I think I can add a meaningful comment.

When I was studying economy I had the occasion to have as professor a professional who still writes the balances of great Italian companies.

He wasn't annoyed by students who cheated ...

He simply said:

"you can get a good degree here, but when you will be in a office ... there will be no way for you to cheat."

Nice words.

Italy knew also an other similar phenomenon: political degree. Some leftist universities graduated students not because of merit, but because of political orientation [those graduated students are still around ... they are overall politicians ...].

But it's all about the educational system ... and when you leave the educational system to find a job ... what are you going to do?

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
I am conflicted. As a firm believer in free speech I oppose most forms of censorship, but I also believe in the right to run your own internet forum as you see fit and totally agree with the way spam and advertising is controlled on here for example.

While these essay writing services are blatantly offering to help students cheat, and any reputable website would have nothing to do with them, should they be banned overall by facebook, google etc? I would argue no, they can advertise their 'services' but this also means they can be publicly called out for what they are.

As a related issue, is there not an algorithm for checking if an essay has been written by one of these services?

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
If a student represents as theirs the work of another he is guilty of fraud because he has received value in return. No way can he claim alternative authorship. :D It is deception and should suffer a proportionate consequence.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I am conflicted. As a firm believer in free speech I oppose most forms of censorship, but I also believe in the right to run your own internet forum as you see fit and totally agree with the way spam and advertising is controlled on here for example.

While these essay writing services are blatantly offering to help students cheat, and any reputable website would have nothing to do with them, should they be banned overall by facebook, google etc? I would argue no, they can advertise their 'services' but this also means they can be publicly called out for what they are.

As a related issue, is there not an algorithm for checking if an essay has been written by one of these services?
I exercise my right of free speech to state that I am a qualified brain surgeon. I'm sure somebody on the internet will give me a piece of paper to prove it.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I don't usually like thin end of the wedge arguments but the logical conclusion of large scale cheating is that everybody has to end up doing it.

Similar History Discussions