Social Studies classes

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
In Canada (Sorry, my experience of Canadian education only limits to Grade 9, Senior High School and Undergraduate programs;
due to my unsuccessful attempts for graduate studies, I have brief exposure to "graduate courses"), Social Studies is the
introduction to humanities.
In Grade 9 (it was in the early 1990s), I was exposed to introduction about the USA and Russia.
Grade 10 is all about Canada. (Canadian Studies was my BA major.)
Grade 11 is about history from French Revolution to World War I and world issues.
Grade 12 is about history from World War I to the contemporary (whatever contemporary meant at this time)
and different ideologies.
I personally attempted to tackle Wealth of Nations unsuccessfully at that point; now, I am listening to Thomas Sowell's Basic
Economics
, which is more about current issues today.
Back in HK primary schools, there was one social studies class, which was an introduction to social norms and relations and
introduction to HK history and society.
Form 1 and Form 2 in HK secondary school included Chinese History, History, Geography, and Economics and Social Affairs.
Due to early HK education, I am somewhat comfortable with modern Chinese (that brief introduction to classical Chinese in
Form 2 didn't count much; I mostly awakened my dormant talent myself) and traditional Chinese characters, and an "immature"
English basis.
Some people challenge HK and mainland China education for "cramming" excessive information on students.
Even for my High School education, apart from English literacy, most of the science knowledge is lost.
I read a lament about lost school knowledge by an adult.
How should Social Studies be done?
What is Social Studies in elementary schools about in Canada and the USA?
Should there any "reforms" to High School Social Studies?
Should we expand education for humanities in High School? Thomas Sowell is an economist; then, he advocated more
technical and practical education.