Solipsism is rational?

Cat

Jun 2019
Your Local Alley
The solipsism I'm talking is not that you are God (this is not rational). But that you (the perceiver) are the only consciousness because perception is consciousness and if you are not perceiveing life through the eyes of another vessel then it's not conscious. Why? Because consciousness is perception. Ultimately, we don't know if this theory is true or false but is it more rational than believing in multiple consciousness?

Last edited:

sculptingman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2009
San Diego
The solipsism I'm talking is not that you are God (this is not rational). But that you (the perceiver) are the only consciousness because perception is consciousness and if you are not perceiveing life through the eyes of another vessel then it's not conscious. Why? Because consciousness is perception. Ultimately, we don't know if this theory is true or false but is it more rational than believing in multiple consciousness?
No.
its not rational. Its just self centered.

Rational observation would be to ask, if those ARE other consciousnesses... how would I appear to them?
When you realize that you would appear to an outside consciousness exactly as those others appear to you, it is rational to conclude that their experience or reality is similar to your own, but from a different vantage.
Solipsism is nothing but a cheap evasion of moral responsibility toward other conscious beings.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
It's not rational to believe you are the only person experiencing the world. It's more like you can only experience reality though your own senses and that limits what you can know about the world. I suppose you could say it offers a platform for extreme skepticism.