Song Dynasty armor and other form of Chinese armor

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Some people would be wrong. We have examples where the same subject is depicted wearing what appears to be both mail and mountain pattern.

Those are some confounding depictions! Every kind of scale form I came up with has been tried before, and none seem to offer great protection except perhaps from slashing blows. Are there sources that mention it resisting arrows? It seems to "suck" them in, unfortunately:

Many of these reconstructions seem good, but aren't very protective from penetrating blows.
The myths of Shan Wen Kia | Great Ming Military

Aug 2014
Australia
Those are some confounding depictions! Every kind of scale form I came up with has been tried before, and none seem to offer great protection except perhaps from slashing blows. Are there sources that mention it resisting arrows? It seems to "suck" them in, unfortunately:

Many of these reconstructions seem good, but aren't very protective from penetrating blows.
The myths of Shan Wen Kia | Great Ming Military
You don't need armour to stop a sword cut; a winter coat can stop a sword. Proper armour was designed to stop spears and arrows, which were the most common threat on any battlefield. If one of our reconstructions is incapable of stopping these weapons then we have to revise the reconstruction.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
You don't need armour to stop a sword cut; a winter coat can stop a sword. Proper armour was designed to stop spears and arrows, which were the most common threat on any battlefield. If one of our reconstructions is incapable of stopping these weapons then we have to revise the reconstruction.
Dan, do you think it was a real form of armour or an artistic device? Depics are in manuals and widesread art a d even sculpture.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Australia
I think they had some kind of armour that looked like the depictions in the carvings - it wasn't just a different way to depict mail. We have no clue how it was made or even what it was called. If we don't know what it was called, we can't use any of the texts to give us an idea of its performance or construction.

Last edited:
Jan 2019
Southeast Asia
I think they had some kind of armour that looked like the depictions in the carvings - it wasn't just a different way to depict mail. We have no clue how it was made or even what it was called. If we don't know what it was called, we can't use any of the texts to give us an idea of its performance or construction.
It is certainly depicted differently from mail.

There is an entire class of armor made in this way, not just with triangular plates. It may or may not need a new modern name for the type, so we can refer to different "weaves".

People focus too much on the Shan Wen Kia. The name is too limited as it is a modern name that refer only to the armor with the triangular plates.

You're right though, that we don't have physical evidence of it, so I will move on to another topic as I have derail too much.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
The more that I look at the "mountain scale". the more I think I am seeing... external lacing and that would be why the edges of the shoulder guards and other pieces have nice neat bound edges; there are scales or lamellae under there.

Similar History Discussions