Song Dynasty armor and other form of Chinese armor

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
The more that I look at the "mountain scale". the more I think I am seeing... external lacing and that would be why the edges of the shoulder guards and other pieces have nice neat bound edges; there are scales or lamellae under there.
That seems a reasonable interpretation. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Reactions: Todd Feinman

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
That seems a reasonable interpretation. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
I think it might be able to be done with hexagonal beveled and raised scales with holes in the middle and at each vertex... I'll make a cardboard model soon. When laces are tightened it could make good armour. it would need a backing.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Okay, so I think this is it. Apologies for the crudeness of the drawing. And actuall I would imbricate the scales overlapping from top down ad opposed to the rows I have drawn. When laces are tightened up it comes together looking like depictions. At left is a scale seen in perspective from side to show bevels and raising or boss where central hole is. I've exaggerated the size of the holes to show them better. I suspect the lacings (three going through each hole) would continue diagonally witj two laces and vertically with the other. Laces could be leather, perhaps silk. I have that roo thong...Would be good and beautiful from bronze. would have textile or leather backing silk?
I think that's it.
IMG_0072_kindlephoto-532073546.jpg
I hereby copyright and patent the design :cool::lol:

Last edited:

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Still doesn't coming completely match because not all the central portions would be raised.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Of course if the center of each scale isn't raised and the relief depicted is just laces, problem solved!

Jan 2016
United States, MO
Looks pretty interesting, it would be nice to see a trial recreation of at least a section based on this. Would this design be flexible enough though?

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Okay, so I think this is it. Apologies for the crudeness of the drawing. And actuall I would imbricate the scales overlapping from top down ad opposed to the rows I have drawn. When laces are tightened up it comes together looking like depictions. At left is a scale seen in perspective from side to show bevels and raising or boss where central hole is. I've exaggerated the size of the holes to show them better. I suspect the lacings (three going through each hole) would continue diagonally witj two laces and vertically with the other. Laces could be leather, perhaps silk. I have that roo thong...Would be good and beautiful from bronze. would have textile or leather backing silk?
I think that's it.
View attachment 15196
I hereby copyright and patent the design :cool::lol:
Looks good. I can see how these would go together to match the appearance in some of the depictions.