Song Dynasty armor and other form of Chinese armor

Jan 2019
Southeast Asia
I want to report that the mail weave work and can be made into a sheet.

20190205_004257.jpg

I also found out several interesting points.
Although the weave work best if all the rings are bent, it can also use normal rings.

The black rings are the rings that needs to be bent and it can also be solid without making construction impossible.

Armor China mail pattern unique black rings could be the bent ones the rest are normal black c...png

I will make the sheet larger and report further progress. The stiffening in one direction disappear with this thin rings probably because the depth of the bent determine how much it can flex.

20190208_164421.jpg

20190208_164427.jpg

The result wouldn't be optimal as I don't have a metal punching die.

Jan 2019
Southeast Asia
Jan 2019
Southeast Asia
It is sometimes thought that the Shan Wen Kia could represent mail armor.

After seeing, I think that is unlikely.

Shan Wen Kia itself is just one shape of that type of armor. We got example of mail weave that looks like Shan Wen Kia, but it is always depicted differently than Shan Wen Kia.

I will post the shapes that appear more than once and consistent enough tto be a type of its own.

Shan Wen Kia - Mountain shape

appear from from Tang Dynasty

Armor China Song Dynasty mountain pattern armor.jpg

Cross pattern

appear in Song Dynasty

Armor China Song Dynasty Stone Sculpture Park of the Southern Song Dynasty soldier 2 view 2 sm...jpg

Hexagon star plate

appear starting from Yuan Dynasty

Armor China Ming Dynasty Shanxi Jiexiu Daluo Palace 1.jpg

Hexagon mesh

start appearing in Tang Dynasty

Armor China Ming Dynasty 15th century 1493 The Ordination of Empress Zhang by unknown court pa...jpg

Shan Wen Kia with Ring

start to appear from Yuan Dynasty

Armor China Yuan Dynasty 1342-1345 Cloud Platform at Juyong Pass Deva King of the East crop.jpg

Basket weave

start to appear from Song Dynasty

Armor China Song Dynasty Stone Sculpture Park of the Southern Song Dynasty Tomb of Shi Zongzhi...jpg

Attachments

Similar History Discussions