Source hunting for Medieval Central Sudan (Ca. 500 - 1500 AD)

Jul 2013
Canada
Thanks for the feedback, good to know that at least one person cares. Perhaps you will be interested to know that I am currently working on overhauling this sub-chapter, bringing it on the same niveau as the one dedicated to medieval Nubia. I am also playing with the thought of writing one entry for the Sanjak of Ibrim, i.e. the Ottoman province of Lower Nubia established in around 1560.

Already thought about buying that book, but according to several reviews it's for the most part just a rechauffe of O'Fahey's old book "State and Society in Darfur", which I already have access to.
Yeah I find it surprising this thread hasn't gotten more attention. It's honestly one of the best here, full of information about one of the more relatively obscure regions of precolonial Africa. Your Wiki articles are much-needed.

Your overhaul and entry for the Sanjak of Ibrim will be appreciated. I actually never heard of the Sanjak of Ibrim, as I've tended to skip over history once the Ottomans took over, and those states lost their independence. I'll look out for it though, as I could learn from it.

Ah, I think I know what you're saying about O'Fahey's book. It is somewhat of a rehash of his entry lumped together with Jay Spaulding's one on Sennar, in the "Kingdoms of the Sudan" book.

By the way, do you happen to have any sources on Wadai? I've only come across bits and pieces regarding that state.

Last edited:
May 2015
Germany
Your overhaul and entry for the Sanjak of Ibrim will be appreciated. I actually never heard of the Sanjak of Ibrim, as I've tended to skip over history once the Ottomans took over, and those states lost their independence. I'll look out for it though, as I could learn from it.
Never heard of it every until two week ago or so aswell, and wasn't really interested in that subject that much either. However, the Ottoman period in Lower Nubia is probably the most obscure and overlooked one in Nubian history, so it kinda has its charme.

Ah, I think I know what you're saying about O'Fahey's book. It is somewhat of a rehash of his entry lumped together with Jay Spaulding's one on Sennar, in the "Kingdoms of the Sudan" book.
I actually meant O'Fahey's book from 1980.

By the way, do you happen to have any sources on Wadai? I've only come across bits and pieces regarding that state.
Haven't read that much about Wadai, but two valuable primary sources I know are Gustav Nachitgal's "Sahara and Sudan. Vol. four: Wadai and Darfur" and al-Tunisi's "Travels of an Arab Merchant in Soudan (the Black Kingdoms of Central Africa)". As secondary source you could try "State and society in three sudanic kingdoms, Kanem-Bornu, Bagirmi and Wadai" by Anders Bjorkelo.

May 2015
Germany
Finally managed to get a scan of a very special Ethiopian mural, located in Tigay (northern Ethiopia) and dating to the late 13th/early 14th century:

His horned crown in particular is very interesting, since it is very similar to crowns from contemporary Nubia:

According to Claude Lepage and Jacques Mercier the painting might depict a Nubian Eparch, i.e. a high-ranking Nubian governor. Malgorzata Martens-Czarnecka also assumes this, while also suggesting that the painting itself was also performed in Nubian style. If these theories are true the painting is an important source for confirming Ethiopian-Nubian relations.

Jul 2013
Canada
Thanks again Swagganaut.

The "State and society in three sudanic kingdoms, Kanem-Bornu, Bagirmi and Wadai" book by Anders Bjorkelo is one I'd been trying to get my hands on for a long, long time, but is always sold out unfortunately, so I never got the chance.

That picture is very interesting if it truly is a Nubian eparch. As royal regalia in Sudan often included a horned crown (I know the Funj kept that tradition as well), there's a good chance. Christian Nubia and Ethiopia relations is a cool topic.

By the way, take a look at "Aksum and Nubia: Warfare, Commerce and Political Fictions in Ancient Northeast Africa" by George Hatke when you get the chance. It's a different time period and different states than what's discussed here, but it goes pretty in-depth on the relationships between these regions in more ancient times.

Last edited:
May 2015
Germany
As royal regalia in Sudan often included a horned crown (I know the Funj kept that tradition as well), there's a good chance.
Yes, the Funj and their vassal kings wore very similar crowns, albeit these were made of textiles. Afaik there are two images showing them: one the drawing by Frederic Caillaud, which is erroneously known as "king of Sennar", albeit it's in fact a Funj vassal king from Fazughli:

And second there is another one, a sketch, if I remember correctly. Seen it two years ago, and supposedly it's showing the king of Sennar himself. Sadly I still don't know where to find it. I was told that it's from Theodor Krump, but doesn't seem to be correct.

By the way, take a look at "Aksum and Nubia: Warfare, Commerce and Political Fictions in Ancient Northeast Africa" by George Hatke when you get the chance. It's a different time period and different states than what's discussed here, but it goes pretty in-depth on the relationships between these regions in more ancient times.
Already know it, referenced some parts of it in my Alodia article.

May 2015
Germany
To create or modify 2D stuff I am almost exclusively working with GIMP. The maps I make are modified versions of maps from Wikimedia Commons.

Edit: speakig of maps, I've finished one a couple of weeks ago, depicting the medieval migration of Arabs into Sudan:

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions