Sources for Adam Smith quotes

Oct 2012
I recently read an essay on Adam Smith that referred to his positions on various questions, without giving specific citations, which I would like to check. Could someone help me find:

2. “the worst kind of government is one of merchants.”

5. On usefulness of religion for ruling class. Very clinical look at role of religion.

6. “All for ourselves and nothing for anyone else” seems to always have been the rule of the masters of mankind.

7. Richer cults have more problems keeping clergy pious. Poorer ones, as in Scotland, Quakers in Pennsylvania, do better.

Thank you.

David Vagamundo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
I recently read an essay on Adam Smith that referred to his positions on various questions, without giving specific citations, which I would like to check. Could someone help me find:

2. “the worst kind of government is one of merchants.”

5. On usefulness of religion for ruling class. Very clinical look at role of religion.

6. “All for ourselves and nothing for anyone else” seems to always have been the rule of the masters of mankind.

7. Richer cults have more problems keeping clergy pious. Poorer ones, as in Scotland, Quakers in Pennsylvania, do better.

Thank you.
If these are really quotes, then the essay should have cited to the sources. If it didn’t, the essay was not worth reading.

Other than that, why don’t you look these up yourself. You have an internet connection and a browser.

Reactions: WhatAnArtist