Sources on the Evolution of Infantry in 19th-20th century

Jan 2019
Burbank, CA, U.S.A.
I've been struggling to find information regarding the evolution of infantry in the aforementioned time periods. I'm curious about what events, important weapons, doctrinal thought, and countries spurred this evolution. It's quite a blur for me how armies moved from maneuvering in blocks (armed with muskets), to more loose and adaptable "skirmishing clouds" of infantry armed with non-muzzle loading rifles, and finally the maneuvering soldiers began to preform in the World Wars. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding what sources/books I should look into?

What I've read so far regarding this period:
The Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon, Gunther E. Rothenberg; helped me to understand how skirmishers began to multiply and become a more prevalent force on the battlefield.
Austro-Prussian War, specifically battle of Koniggratz; gave me an example where the Austrians fought an army that was using a newer rifle and firing from the prone in a dispersed formation.
This article on the Franco-Prussian War; helped me with a broad understanding of Franco/Prussian tactics/deployments in the war.

My conclusions so far are that many of the countries in Europe came to these conclusions at separate times in their history. What I've researched regarding the Second Boer War is that Britain first started experimenting with looser formations and more initiative given to smaller units during this conflict. Am I correct in these conclusions?

Similar History Discussions