South American soldiers

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
US laws on racial discrimination applied to blacks. Latinos, while probably facing racism, were serving in all branches... as were native Americans, Chinese Americans and Philippino Americans, Hawaiians Etc.

The only South American’s that I’m aware of were the Brazilian division fighting in Italy. They had men of all colours serving in mixed units.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I know it's off topic, but to answer Dupuy the only black Civil War officers were Union officers from Louisiana in command of only black soldiers. They were mostly removed later in the war, as Union soldiers didn't like saluting them.

A part black officer who was the son of a planter would absolutely not be accepted. Certainly not in the US, but probably not anywhere in the Americas.

There was less of a color line in French, Spanish, and Portuguese areas than British and Dutch ones. Illegitimate slave children were treated more as children in southern European areas.

Light skinned blacks did pass for white and marry whites. There are questions whether Hamilton and Lincoln had black ancestry. Jefferson's Davis's wife probably did.

I looked at Beauregard's ancestry. It is pretty much all Du or De names, accept along the male line. The male line also only is known to his grandfather, whereas the others are known further. Male line descent is usually traced longer. So it seems likely that some Toutant became wealthy,and bought a plantation or something. He or his son married into the gentry. The hyphenated name is probably to emphasize the fancier name of the mother and also appear to be an old aristocratic name.

General Beauregard stopped using the hyphen and instead made the Toutant one of 3 initials when he was at West Point. He fit in better by using intials rather than they hyphen and the foreign sounding names.

It wasn't like old France in that there were many middle class Civil War generals, particularly Union generals. However, part black officers were totally unacceptable.

Last edited:

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
His name was "Toutant-Beauregard":Toutant, name of his father,slave liberated,Beauregard name of a french business man who had adopted him.There was no black men or jews in the old french aristocracy because it was forbidden to marry with a woman who had no french and catholic origines.The tolerance for the protestants makes that they could marry-for the period of interdiction 1685-1787 in the foreign ambassades,and Orange,or in front of the notary,the protestant cult having "officially" disappeared.
Ok dupuy... in any case Toutant- Beauregard was the only Latino general I know in US Army.

regards

May 2017
France
Mr Martin,forgetting for a moment our différences,I have never said that your absolutely enormous erudition had limits.No me gusta el infierno reservo a los mentirosos...

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
The Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico National Guard have always had Hispanic soldiers. Pedro del Valle reached the rank of Lieutenant General in the Marines. He commanded Marine Artillery on Guadalcanal. PGT Beauregard was a Cajun from Louisiana, he could not have attended West Point if he would have been part Black. There were lots of Spanish descendants in Louisiana. My daughters gets some from their Cajun Mother. The 65th Infantry Regiment was the Regular Army Garrison for Puerto Rico for many years. It is now the National Guard unit in Puerto Rico.

Pruitt

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
The term "Creole" has changed over time. In Louisiana it originally meant the family was from the old country, France or Spain "Criolla"). French people came to Louisiana from France, Canada and the Caribbean. The Cajuns in Louisiana were never considered "Creoles" as they came from Acadia in Canada. This reminds me of a conversation I once had with a young lady named Fontenot when we were 13. I called her a Cajun and she set me straight with a "I will have you know the Fontenots came from France!" then she ruined it by saying her Mother was a Cajun!

Creole was applied to racially mixed Black people later. The term was used around Natchitoches Louisiana from Black people who were light skinned. New Orleans had a large Free Black population as well. Many of the old families had a white side and a Black side of the family. There was a general shortage of White females to marry during early Louisiana history. Pierre Lafitte came to Louisiana from Hispaniola after the Slave Revolt with his brothers Jean and Dominique. He married a Free Black woman. In Louisiana, many Free Blacks were highly skilled Laborers. It was custom in Louisiana to hire young Free Black women to be a concubine for young wealthy males. This is where we get the famous "Quadroon Balls".

Pruitt

Reactions: martin76

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
The first black graduated from West Point in 1877. He was assigned to an all black regiment, and later dismissed from the Army for embezzlement.

The Union recruited large numbers of black soldiers. They were commanded by white officers, except for some black officers from Louisiana which I mentioned. Blacks were not allowed in the Confederate Army, but there were free blacks in Confederate militias and slave and free blacks in the Confederate Navy.

May 2017
France
In France,a legend told that black soldiers desertors went very often at the fronteers with Mexico,to provocate the french,présents since 1862.