South Asian history and archaeology

Mar 2019
KL
i dont want to post some stuff i discovered into history of indian clothing, archaeology, and i dont want to limit it to India, so im starting this thread so that other threads dont get off topic with irrelevant posts

Last edited:
Mar 2019
KL
1557948319319.png

scholars date this scene between 1000 -1500 BC

Bhimbetka II B-23 and B-24 is a group of rocks from yellowish to pink withpredominantly whitish paintings most oftenof red rustor red and lilac. Below is a large figure holding the sword abovethe head of a second figure, smaller, with a long scarf to the ground,a round shield or an emblem. To the right there is a trident and an ffigure with

on a leash a dog wrapped in numerous ornamental ribbons. In several paintings werecognize ritual duels, in which the representation of the relative faces of thewarriors has been decidedly avoided; instead they wear earrings, which in the Mahabharata they are the sign of invincibility. Horses have more straps thanbnecessary. With few exceptions, the riders' feet are not reproduced, thehorse is painted in profile, the rider in front , so that one gets the impression that i riding warriors "Sidesaddle". Knights and warriors on foot carry the sword and a braided shield. A bovineon a leash, towards whichtwo archerswalk, he is led to sacrifice.The archers are superimposed on an olderhoneycomb-snail motif, preserved in part. To the right passes an animalsimilar to a lizard with red spots and a lizard's head, which is threatenedby an archer. Below is a white knight on an elephant (56x69 cm): for him Wakankar fixes a date around l 1 000-1500 a. c A half between the legs front of the elephant and a knight who encounters a bird-like being there is acattle of the most remote era , with a delicate honeycomb structure.
1557949419900.png

shiva, 1000 BC

Bhimbetka III C-29: on this wall there are Indian gods and goddesses inlight coralred; among them we recognize Shiva withbowl, sword, shield and trident,therefore with four arms, and Ganesha, the elephant-headed god (height 35 cm). More figure I'm state yields unrecognizable dai tweaks bianchi. The age of these Paintings can be dated to around 1000 BC.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions