South Dakota vs Iowa class

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
And sorry- But Battleships were proven obsolete when Billy Mitchell sank one using a biplane that only flew at 60 mph.
You do realize that like Pearl Harbor and Taranto, all these 'successful' attacks were against stationary ships.

Reactions: Zip

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
You do realize that like Pearl Harbor and Taranto, all these 'successful' attacks were against stationary ships.
It seems to me the real wake up call was the sinking of the Prince of Wales and Repulse. And earlier the Swordfish strikes fatally (in the end) damaging the Bismarck. But then on the other hand while aircraft gave the German ship an injury that doomed it the battleships Rodney and KG5 destroyed it.

Last edited:

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
It seems to me the real wake up call was the sinking of the Prince of Wales and Repulse. And earlier the Swordfish strikes fatally (in the end) damaging the Bismarck. But then on the other hand while aircraft gave the German ship an injury that doomed it the battleships Rodney and KG5 destroyed it.
And that is a very fair comment. I could be proved wrong but I believe there was only 4 battleships sunk by just aircraft in the whole war

But to take the argument to its ludicrous end. All surface vessels were rendered obsolete by air power. There is no class of ship that did not suffer total losses as a result of air attack through the war.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
All surface vessels were rendered obsolete by air power. There is no class of ship that did not suffer total losses as a result of air attack through the war.
It's true that all classes of vessels were rendered obsolete by air power, but that doesn't mean that air power could accomplish every job that had to be done. To this day, surface ships are better at applying sustained power at a given point. Aircraft can only remain on station for an hour or so. Then they have to land. Even orbiting planes in relays over a single point becomes difficult after a few hours. Ships can remain on station for days or even weeks at a time. Sometimes you need an obsolete battleship to do something that planes can't do.

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
And that is a very fair comment. I could be proved wrong but I believe there was only 4 battleships sunk by just aircraft in the whole war
Sunk by aircraft while at sea I can think offhand only of Prince of Wales, Musashi, Yamato and Roma.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Sunk by aircraft while at sea I can think offhand only of Prince of Wales, Musashi, Yamato and Roma.
Repulse that was in company with POW when she met her fate....on the other hand I had forgotten about the Roma... So we are up to 5

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
It's true that all classes of vessels were rendered obsolete by air power, but that doesn't mean that air power could accomplish every job that had to be done. To this day, surface ships are better at applying sustained power at a given point. Aircraft can only remain on station for an hour or so. Then they have to land. Even orbiting planes in relays over a single point becomes difficult after a few hours. Ships can remain on station for days or even weeks at a time. Sometimes you need an obsolete battleship to do something that planes can't do.
I was being a little factious in my response.:)
Cause honestly you are preaching to the choir when comes to the projection of sea power since WW2

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Battleships sunk only by carrier planes while underway:
Yamato
Mushashi
Battleships sunk only by land-based planes while underway:
Prince of Wales
Repulse
Roma
Battleships permanently sunk only by carrier planes while in port:
Arizona
Oklahoma
Conte di Cavour
Ise
Haruna
Hyuga
Battleships sunk in port only by carrier planes but later refloated:
California
Nevada
West Virginia
Littorio
Caio Duilio
Battleships sunk in port by land-based planes:
Tirpitz
Marat (Soviet) partially refloated and used as a gun battery during Siege of Leningrad
Battleships sunk by a mixture of aircraft and surface ships:
Hiei
Strasbourg
Bismarck

There might be a few more. Feel free to add to the list.

Oct 2019
Near the dogbowl

But to take the argument to its ludicrous end. All surface vessels were rendered obsolete by air power. There is no class of ship that did not suffer total losses as a result of air attack through the war.
Edit: got ninja'd!

On the flip side looks like one British carrier was sunk by Germans capital ships, and a jeep carrier by IJN capital ships. Submarines on the hand, sunk more USN and IJN carriers.

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
I think Repulse was a battlecruiser.

Now we can have a discussion on battlecruisers and battleships. And Hei and Kirishima.