South Slavs in the American Civil War

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Maybe, but most Yugoslav Lazars are named after Lazar Hrebeljanović. Lazar is a very uncommon Croat name. There are some clear Croats in the list. Cognevich was most likely a Croat, but there are some clear Serbs as well.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I am wondering if anyone has been able to find a list of South Slavs that fought for the Union.

Feb 2016
Japan
Interesting.
My inclination would have been that you’d find a New York regiment of Slavs as there seemed to be New York regiments of many others.. English, Irish, Scottish, German, Italian, Polish etc.

Feb 2016
Japan
58th New York - Polish.
79th New York - Scottish.
36th New York- English/Irish.
39th New York - Italians.
55th New York - French.

But I wasn’t aware of there being a heavy Slavic presence. Very interesting.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Well, there is apparently some discrepancy regarding his name. StanislaV or StanislaS? If it is Stanislas, then I would be inclined to assume that he wasn't a South Slav at all, but then again his surname Kaluđerović points to South Slav ancestry.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
These mentioned in OP were Croats by ethnicity ergo Catholics. I am aware of XIXth anti-Catholicism movement in US, antebellum American Nativist party and their attitude towards European catholic migrants in general. A question: Was the South more religiously tolerant towards the Catholics than the North? Either that or the mere fact that their port of arrival was New Orleans was the reason for them being Confederates. The only Orthodox Christians migrants that participated in ACW on the side of the North and the South i am aware of were Greeks.
New Orleans was originally French and had a large Catholic population to begin with, so that might have been part of the reason Croats went there. In general, immigrants did not venture into the rural south. There was already a supply of cheap labor and it wasn't a good place to obtain marginal farm land, as most was taken in large estates.

Immigrants in the north and south generally fought for the local side and it didn't have much to do with how they were treated.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
New Orleans was originally French and had a large Catholic population to begin with, so that might have been part of the reason Croats went there. In general, immigrants did not venture into the rural south. There was already a supply of cheap labor and it wasn't a good place to obtain marginal farm land, as most was taken in large estates.

Immigrants in the north and south generally fought for the local side and it didn't have much to do with how they were treated.
I watched a powerful movie recently with Tom Berenger as a leader of the Irish San Patricio Battalion of the Mexican army and the plight of mostly Irish catholic soldiers who deserted after encountering religious prejudice in antebellum USA and fought against American army during Mexican-American War. That's why I asked you this question.

One Man's Hero - Wikipedia

Similar History Discussions