Soviets invade Europe instead of Germany

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
Actually, Japan had pacts with Germany and Italy but if Japan were to join the anti-Soviet coalition then US financial assistance might dry up rather quickly! Leaving Europe to deal with the might of the USSR ?? could be interesting!!

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Okay...okay, let's assume that the Soviets crush Hitler, first. He's out of the picture, the holocaust did not happen, it's only Stalin vs. Churchill and maybe Roosevelt. What happens?
Okay. I'm assuming Stalin takes over everything north of the Alps and the Pyrenees.

I'd say that Churchill and maybe Roosevelt conduct a "Mediterranean" strategy aimed at destroying the Soviet forces in Europe through "attrition." I think Spain and Italy would have joined the Allies. The Allies would try to get Finland, Turkey, and Iran to enter the war on their side too. I think Overlord would have occurred in the south of France, with subsidiary landings later in Normandy.

A lot would depend upon the date of the Soviet invasion of Europe. But that's how I would see things having fallen out in general. Everybody pretty much hated the commies.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
And, as we're talking speculatively, by the time that the war with Russia was complete and Hitler got his precious (it was his no.1 desire remember!!) Lebensraum, he would not have had too long to live anyway.
avon,

I don't know about that. Hitler would have been 71 in 1960. Wasn't he some sort of health nut? If he could have stayed off the dope, who knows?

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
avon,

I don't know about that. Hitler would have been 71 in 1960. Wasn't he some sort of health nut? If he could have stayed off the dope, who knows?
Fair point, Lucius, fair point!

I'm not sure that it's as simple as simply 'keeping of the dope' - I think that's something that most of us decide to do at some point in our twenties!! - he was a pretty sick man. A concoction of drugs that made his health worse and worse signalled the end by mid way through the war. Assuming here that the Soviets attacked on mass, the war that would have probably have ensued would most likely have caused Hitler to resort to the kind of treatments which, in the actual course of events, he did. Were these 'treatments' stress induced or merely psychological fears for his own end? Either way, not sure that keeping of the dope would have been as simple as all that!:)

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Assuming here that the Soviets attacked on mass, the war that would have probably have ensued would most likely have caused Hitler to resort to the kind of treatments which, in the actual course of events, he did.
Fair enough, avon. Perhaps it would have depended on the date of the Soviet invasion. Earlier in the '30s, he might have ended up running his government-in-exile from London clean and sober. Later, perhaps from Madrid high as a kite.

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
Fair enough, avon. Perhaps it would have depended on the date of the Soviet invasion. Earlier in the '30s, he might have ended up running his government-in-exile from London clean and sober. Later, perhaps from Madrid high as a kite.
Agreed. Not a nice thought, is it!!

Similar History Discussions