Spanish Civil War

Jun 2009
Tsuki-Kuni
A professor of mine said that the Spanish Civil War becam eth etesting ground before the WWII. It was a new idea for me and I'd like to research on this particular matter.

Can anyone recommend some 20 or so great books on the Spanish Civil War? I'd certainly appreciate links to e-books. :)

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
Well, there are one or two good books available on the Spanish Civil War. As for e-books, I don't generally do them!!

Bill Alexander, British Volunteers for Liberty: Spain.
Antony Beevor, The Spanish Civil War.
Luis A. Bolin, Spain: The Vital Years.
Burnett Bolloten, The Spanish Civil War: Revolution and Counterrevolution.
Franz Borkenau, The Spanish Cockpit: An Eye-Witness Account of the Political and Social Conflicts of the Spanish Civil War.
Claude G. Bowers, My Mission to Spain: Watching the Rehearsal for World War II.
Ken Bradley, The International Brigades in Spain, 1936-39.
Michael Brecher, Crises in the Twentieth Century.
Gerald Brenan, The Spanish Labyrinth, an Account of the Social and Political Background of the Civil War.
Vincent Brome, The International Brigades: Spain, 1936-1939.
Henry W. Buckley, Life and Death of the Spanish Republic.
EH Carr, The Comintern and the Spanish Civil War.
Raymond Carr, Spain 1808-1975.
Peter N. Carroll, The Odyssey of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade: Americans in the Spanish Civil War.
David Tredwell Cattell, Communism and the Spanish Civil War.
Cecil D. Eby, Between the Bullet and the Lie: American Volunteers in the Spanish Civil War.
Carl Geiser, Prisoners of the Good Fight: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.
John Gerassi, The Premature Antifascists: North American Volunteers in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939: An Oral History.
Allen Guttmann, The Wound in the Heart: America and the Spanish Civil War. New York,
Gabriel Jackson, The Spanish Republic and the Civil War, 1931-1939.
Arthur H. Landis, Death in the Olive Groves: American Volunteers in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.
Douglas Little, Malevolent Neutrality: The United States, Great Britain, and the Origins of the Spanish Civil War.
Herbert Lionel Matthews, Half of Spain Died: A Reappraisal of the Spanish Civil War.
David J. Mitchell, The Spanish Civil War.
Felix Morrow, Revolution & Counter-Revolution in Spain.
Norman Judson Padelford, International Law and Diplomacy in the Spanish Civil Strife.
Robert. Payne, The Civil War in Spain, 1936-1939.
Stanley G. Payne, Falange: A History of Spanish Fascism.
Paul Preston, The Coming of the Spanish Civil War: Reform, Reaction, and Revolution in the Second Republic.
Paul Preston, The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.
Paul Preston, ¡Comrades! Portraits from the Spanish Civil War.
Raymond L. Proctor, Hitler's Luftwaffe in the Spanish Civil War.
Dante Anthony Puzzo, Spain and the Great Powers, 1936-1941.
Oscar H. Rechtschaffen, Germany and the Spanish Civil War.
R. Dan Richardson, Comintern Army: The International Brigades and the Spanish Civil War.
Karl Ries and Hans Ring, The Condor Legion: A History of the Luftwaffe in the Spanish Civil War.
Jose M. Sanchez, Reform and Reaction: The Politico-Religious Background of the Spanish Civil War.
Foster Jay Taylor, The United States and the Spanish Civil War.
Hugh Thomas, The Spanish Civil War.
Richard P. Traina, American Diplomacy and the Spanish Civil War.
K. W. Watkins, Britain Divided: The Effect of the Spanish Civil War on British Political Opinion.
William E. Watters, An International Affair: Non-Intervention in the Spanish Civil War.
Robert H. Whealey, Hitler and Spain: The Nazi Role in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.
Peter Wyden, The Passionate War: The Narrative History of the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.

Chookie

Ad Honorem
Nov 2007
Alba
Here are a couple of other possibilities:-

The Condor Legion - Carlos Caballero Jurado, Ramiro Bujeiro
Homage to Caledonia: Scotland and the Spanish Civil War - Daniel Gray

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Here are a few e-books on the Spanish civil war on Mediafire file share. It even has Chookie's recommendation 'The Condor Legion'.

It is at this address:
http://www.mediafire.com/?r=mfyqu
click on 'my files' tab and then login at top right.
To access,
the e-mail address is: Historylibrary
pass word: thankyoupedro

These files are compressed with WinRAR, I think they are self opening; if not you can download a freebie at WinRAR. Also I think they are all PDF, you will need Adobe reader. Also a freebie.

This is open to all and I would be greatly pleased if others uploaded their e-books on history. A wide definition of history is perfectly acceptable. I'll take care of managing the site.
Don't be shy about uploading, the site is very user friendly.

Jun 2009
Tsuki-Kuni
Well, there are one or two good books available on the Spanish Civil War. As for e-books, I don't generally do them!!

Bill Alexander, British Volunteers for Liberty: Spain.
Antony Beevor, The Spanish Civil War.
Luis A. Bolin, Spain: The Vital Years.
Burnett Bolloten, The Spanish Civil War: Revolution and Counterrevolution.
Franz Borkenau, The Spanish Cockpit: An Eye-Witness Account of the Political and Social Conflicts of the Spanish Civil War.
Claude G. Bowers, My Mission to Spain: Watching the Rehearsal for World War II.
Ken Bradley, The International Brigades in Spain, 1936-39.
Michael Brecher, Crises in the Twentieth Century.
Gerald Brenan, The Spanish Labyrinth, an Account of the Social and Political Background of the Civil War.
Vincent Brome, The International Brigades: Spain, 1936-1939.
Henry W. Buckley, Life and Death of the Spanish Republic.
EH Carr, The Comintern and the Spanish Civil War.
Raymond Carr, Spain 1808-1975.
Peter N. Carroll, The Odyssey of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade: Americans in the Spanish Civil War.
David Tredwell Cattell, Communism and the Spanish Civil War.
Cecil D. Eby, Between the Bullet and the Lie: American Volunteers in the Spanish Civil War.
Carl Geiser, Prisoners of the Good Fight: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.
John Gerassi, The Premature Antifascists: North American Volunteers in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939: An Oral History.
Allen Guttmann, The Wound in the Heart: America and the Spanish Civil War. New York,
Gabriel Jackson, The Spanish Republic and the Civil War, 1931-1939.
Arthur H. Landis, Death in the Olive Groves: American Volunteers in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.
Douglas Little, Malevolent Neutrality: The United States, Great Britain, and the Origins of the Spanish Civil War.
Herbert Lionel Matthews, Half of Spain Died: A Reappraisal of the Spanish Civil War.
David J. Mitchell, The Spanish Civil War.
Felix Morrow, Revolution & Counter-Revolution in Spain.
Norman Judson Padelford, International Law and Diplomacy in the Spanish Civil Strife.
Robert. Payne, The Civil War in Spain, 1936-1939.
Stanley G. Payne, Falange: A History of Spanish Fascism.
Paul Preston, The Coming of the Spanish Civil War: Reform, Reaction, and Revolution in the Second Republic.
Paul Preston, The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.
Paul Preston, ¡Comrades! Portraits from the Spanish Civil War.
Raymond L. Proctor, Hitler's Luftwaffe in the Spanish Civil War.
Dante Anthony Puzzo, Spain and the Great Powers, 1936-1941.
Oscar H. Rechtschaffen, Germany and the Spanish Civil War.
R. Dan Richardson, Comintern Army: The International Brigades and the Spanish Civil War.
Karl Ries and Hans Ring, The Condor Legion: A History of the Luftwaffe in the Spanish Civil War.
Jose M. Sanchez, Reform and Reaction: The Politico-Religious Background of the Spanish Civil War.
Foster Jay Taylor, The United States and the Spanish Civil War.
Hugh Thomas, The Spanish Civil War.
Richard P. Traina, American Diplomacy and the Spanish Civil War.
K. W. Watkins, Britain Divided: The Effect of the Spanish Civil War on British Political Opinion.
William E. Watters, An International Affair: Non-Intervention in the Spanish Civil War.
Robert H. Whealey, Hitler and Spain: The Nazi Role in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.
Peter Wyden, The Passionate War: The Narrative History of the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939.

Whoa, I never expected someone to give me such a long list! Thanks for sharing some titles, Avon. Really appreciate it.

I actually browsed the catalog in our library and while finding a lot of SCW-related books, most are in fact missing from the shelves. :mad:

Jun 2009
Tsuki-Kuni
Here are a few e-books on the Spanish civil war on Mediafire file share. It even has Chookie's recommendation 'The Condor Legion'.

It is at this address:
click on 'my files' tab and then login at top right.
To access,
the e-mail address is: Historylibrary
pass word: thankyoupedro

These files are compressed with WinRAR, I think they are self opening; if not you can download a freebie at WinRAR. Also I think they are all PDF, you will need Adobe reader. Also a freebie.

This is open to all and I would be greatly pleased if others uploaded their e-books on history. A wide definition of history is perfectly acceptable. I'll take care of managing the site.
Don't be shy about uploading, the site is very user friendly.

I tried the link but there's a problem on the e-mail ad...

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
I tried the link but there's a problem on the e-mail ad...
I think I found the glich. Like an idiot I left off part of the address. Sorry. Try it again. It should work.

e-mail address is:Historylibrary@live.com
password: thankyoupedro

It is at this address:
click on 'my files' tab and then login at top right. or vice versa.

Similar History Discussions