Spanish Inquisition and The Crusades: suggested reading

Aug 2019
Mountain View, Arkansas, United States
Hello everyone,

I have an interest in learning more about the two periods of European history involving the Spanish Inquisition and The Crusades. I should preface my remarks by revealing my own religious status as an unbeliever or atheist. I am interested in hearing recommendations for these subject matters where there would be as little bias as possible by the author. So my thinking is a person considering themself a historian of those periods would be more prone to giving me an unprejudiced account of what really happened and the underlying causes.

There has been much written about these two periods and I would like to hear your suggestions. Thanks. Bra

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
A readable but academic and more or less up to date single volume on the crusading movement as a whole is Christopher Tyerman's God's War.

I don't work on the early modern period (or Europe, for that matter) so I wouldn't dare to recommend anything on the Spanish Inquisition, although looking for something published by a university press is usually a good idea.

Mar 2016
Australia
A readable but academic and more or less up to date single volume on the crusading movement as a whole is Christopher Tyerman's God's War.

I don't work on the early modern period (or Europe, for that matter) so I wouldn't dare to recommend anything on the Spanish Inquisition, although looking for something published by a university press is usually a good idea.
I second God's War. I read it earlier this year and thought it was fantastic. Dispels many commonly held misconceptions about the era and is remarkably unbiased and objective.

May 2016
Portugal
Sorry, my bibliography can be a bit old, but about the Crusades per se I think Steve Runciman’s work “A History of the Crusades” is still a reference.

For the Spanish Inquisition, at LIBRO (UCA), online and free, you have Henry Charles Lea’s work “A History of the Inquisition of Spain”, it is even an older work (with more than a century now), but is also still a reference:

Title Catalog, The Library of Iberian Resources Online

A bit out of topic, but more recent, about the latter Portuguese Inquisition there is recent work (2013) by the Italian historian Giuseppe Marcocci and the Portuguese José Pedro Paiva, intitled “História da Inquisição Portuguesa 1536-1821”.

Back to the Spanish Inquisition there is an historian, Henry Kamen, that can lead you to a different and often controversial perspective : “The Spanish Inquisition: A Historical Revision”. I confess that I only read quotes and reviews. For instance: https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/683785?journalCode=jr

Aug 2019
Tha

nk you. I will investigate your suggestion. Cheers, Bra.

Aug 2019

Sorry, my bibliography can be a bit old, but about the Crusades per se I think Steve Runciman’s work “A History of the Crusades” is still a reference.

For the Spanish Inquisition, at LIBRO (UCA), online and free, you have Henry Charles Lea’s work “A History of the Inquisition of Spain”, it is even an older work (with more than a century now), but is also still a reference:

Title Catalog, The Library of Iberian Resources Online

A bit out of topic, but more recent, about the latter Portuguese Inquisition there is recent work (2013) by the Italian historian Giuseppe Marcocci and the Portuguese José Pedro Paiva, intitled “História da Inquisição Portuguesa 1536-1821”.

Back to the Spanish Inquisition there is an historian, Henry Kamen, that can lead you to a different and often controversial perspective : “The Spanish Inquisition: A Historical Revision”. I confess that I only read quotes and reviews. For instance: https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/683785?journalCode=jr
Thank you. You have set me on my path. Cheers, Bra.

Dec 2014
Spain
I would add:

Breve historia de la Inquisición en España. Joseph Pérez

La inquisicion española. José Martínez Millán

Journeymen-Printers, Heresy, and the Inquisition in Sixteenth-Century Spain by CLIVIN GRIFFIN

Aug 2019
India
Even though I am a Muslim I am very impressed by crusaders who came from unknown places in Europe to middle East mostly to fight for their religion.

Their zeal, fighting spirit and will power was second to none that's why they were able to hold on central part of middle East for over a century.

Some Crusaders also convert to Islam and fought for Muslim armies, one of such case is knight Robert of Saint Albert.

He came as crusader knight in Jerusalembut converted to Islam after talking to local Muslims, he participated in seigh of Jerusalem as commander and married to sister of Saladin himself.

Similar History Discussions