Spartan marriage ceremony.

Sep 2014
Texas
Recently I learned that a lot of people think being surrounded by half naked girls and have unlimited access to straight sex is not enough to keep men from homosexuality. That Spartan boys were all gay who made the supreme sacrifice by getting married.

And to help the boys adjust from penis to pussy, the girls cut their hair and waited in the dark.

Sorry guys, but pussy won't make a gay guy straight, and the Spartans we're viciously homophobic.

The cutting of hair served two purposes, it harkened back to the days when men kidnapped their brides, and her waiting in the dark with him leaving before morning reenacted the tale of Eros and Psyche.

Believe me they knew what each other looked like.

Yes, there were men who were 100 percent gay in Sparta. Leonidas' son was one He ruled a long time but his entire history was erased. Except for his name we know nothing about him.

And the story of the gay general who was openly disrespected at the mess made it into Plutarch

Men who are biological ly attracted to women are not going to find boys attractive.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
interesting , I always though of Sparta as a ferociously male society
sure it doesn't imply homo sex and the life in communal barracks does seems like an Australian pub
as for being 100% gay or 5% "experimental" , young men would have sex with a hole in the ground on the off chance of meeting a female snake

Aug 2014
Australia
Men who are biological ly attracted to women are not going to find boys attractive.
It has nothing to do with attraction. There are countless case studies of men who had sex with other men who were not even remotely attracted to men. It is about exerting power and control. If you want to degrade and humiliate a man then there is nothing more effective.

In any case, the above post shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the Greeks thought of homosexuality. Even today, in many cases, only the person who "takes it" is considered to be abnormal or effeminate. The "giver" is considered normal regardless of whether he sticks it to a male or female.

Last edited:
Jan 2015
MD, USA
I'm thinking of going into any discussion on Sparta with "Almost everything we think we know about Sparta is WRONG." But I'm not certain that's entirely accurate, and I have NOT done a lot of research on Sparta. There is someone who has, however, and her essays are real eye-openers:

http://www.spartareconsidered.com/

Sexuality

She lays out the facts, and tells why accounts and rumors from non-Spartan sources may be flawed or outright untruths. Should be required reading.

Matthew

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Maybe the story isn't true, but the way I understand it Spartan citizen boys were sent to tough military school from ages 6 to 18. Presumably, there were only boys there so they had sex with boys. The Greeks were pretty OK with that sort of thing. The bride did this so as to transition her husband from sex with men to women.

Sep 2014
Texas
He is the only king without a wife listed, he left no heirs, the Spartans erased his history and never spoke of him. His nephew took his place and we know his life story.

And in this day and age we know it is not a choice, and there is nothing wrong with it, but people thought it was a choice in ancient times.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
In ancient time , upholding the family line was a moral obligation
that meant passing on the ancestor sacred inheritance of life through sons ,
anyone shirking this duty would have been severely censured

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
It has nothing to do with attraction. There are countless case studies of men who had sex with other men who were not even remotely attracted to men. It is about exerting power and control. If you want to degrade and humiliate a man then there is nothing more effective.

In any case, the above post shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the Greeks thought of homosexuality. Even today, in many cases, only the person who "takes it" is considered to be abnormal or effeminate. The "giver" is considered normal regardless of whether he sticks it to a male or female.
I don't know from where you got such ideas and who told you that such things would be regarded as normal for men. Personally I am a masculine man who, letting aside that my whole life I've been sexually attracted exclusively by feminine women, I am filled with horrible disgust only at the simple thought that I could give it to another male, disregarding if young or old or feminine or masculine.

Similar History Discussions