Speculative/Alternative fiction?

Jul 2008
NE PA
What are your favorites, and why? For the purposes of this thread, we can mix books with a sci-fi element (like The Proteus Operation,) or with a deus ex machina type (like SM Stirling's Nantuckett series) alongside the "normal" alternative history (like Turtledove's CSA that won the Civil war because the Lost Order was never lost.)

I like some of Turtledove's stuff, msotly his stand alone novels, like Guns of the South, or In the Presence of My Enemies. John Birmingham has an awesome series about a carrier task force that gets thrown back to 1942 and the Battle of Midway. I enjoy SM Stirling's Nantuckett series, and its offshoot about the world it left behind. I enjoyed his Peshawar Lancers.

galteeman

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Sodom and Begorrah
I love the Ian Banks 'culture' series with their black humour view of a possible future civilisation. Here the humans have achieved immortality and are trying to kill time in idle pleasure. Meanwhile the more powerful but benign artificial minds get on with more serious matters.

Jul 2008
NE PA
I love the Ian Banks 'culture' series with their black humour view of a possible future civilisation. Here the humans have achieved immortality and are trying to kill time in idle pleasure. Meanwhile the more powerful but benign artificial minds get on with more serious matters.
No offense, but that sounds like straightforward sci-fi. When I mentioned sci-fi elements, I was thinking more along the lines of Turtledove's Guns of the South where a rabid white supremacist group steals a time machine that is able to take them back to 1864-and they can help the South win.

The series sounds good, though. How recent are they?

edit-my title should have read just plain "favorite alternative history novels"

Last edited:

galteeman

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Sodom and Begorrah
1987 -2008, the shortest and easiest to read is 'The Player of Games'.
I reckon i could try both of those recommendations lads, thanks. that Guns of the South sounds hilarious. I'll have to order it up. The Belisarius series book 1 and book 2 are being brought out in 1 book called 'Belisarius I Thunder at Dawn' but amazon uk don't have it yet so ill have to wait for that.

Jul 2008
NE PA
1987 -2008, the shortest and easiest to read is 'The Player of Games'.
I reckon i could try both of those recommendations lads, thanks. that Guns of the South sounds hilarious. I'll have to order it up. The Belisarius series book 1 and book 2 are being brought out in 1 book called 'Belisarius I Thunder at Dawn' but amazon uk don't have it yet so ill have to wait for that.
well, Guns of the South isn't really hilarious-it tries to tackle some pretty serious issues, and since it was my first turtledove, I have a soft spot for it.

Lucius-I also enjoyed A Different Flesh.