Stalin assassination

May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
You don't think that a different Soviet leader would have still occupied Eastern Europe for decades?

Also, please be careful what you wish for. After all, in real life, the USSR did eventually collapse; what if that doesn't actually happen in this scenario?
They might likely have. Maybe Beria or Khrushchev would have succeeded Stalin. If the USSR doesn't fall we'd still have a multi-polar world order.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
They might likely have.
Yeah--so, not much difference there.

Maybe Beria or Khrushchev would have succeeded Stalin.
Probably. I doubt that Zhukov himself actually had ambitions to be the Soviet top dog, so he's likely out.

If the USSR doesn't fall we'd still have a multi-polar world order.
Yes, we would. Of course, we might be heading in that direction anyway right now even in real life due to the rise of China. China is the only country that can probably pose a formidable challenge to the Western-Atlantic bloc in real life.

Reactions: Kubis Gabcik
Dec 2019
Moscow
Your mission is to assassinate Josef Stalin at the 1943 Yalta Conference. How would you go about It? What would happen if you succeed?
Did Stalin ever publish a book, in which he would elaborate on his future plans of invading a neighboring country, like Hitler did? :) Why would anybody want to assassinate him?

May 2019
Did Stalin ever publish a book, in which he would elaborate on his future plans of invading a neighboring country, like Hitler did? :) Why would anybody want to assassinate him?
I'n not aware that Stalin published a book about wanting to invade Finland or Poland. Assassinating him would be good for an anti-communist like me.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I'n not aware that Stalin published a book about wanting to invade Finland or Poland. Assassinating him would be good for an anti-communist like me.
Stalin didn't actually write a book about these topics, to my knowledge.

Also, how would it be good for an anti-Communist like you if your country still gets to endure decades of Soviet occupation after the end of WWII?

Ic. So, according to you, that's why JFK was assassinated after Americans started the Vietnam war.
JFK was actually assassinated before the Americans escalated the Vietnam War.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
... Assassinating him would be good for an anti-communist like me.
In what way would be good (besides maybe making You feel better?).

Lenin died prematurely, as a result of an assasination attempt. So we can technically say he was assassinated.

I'm sure a lot of people felt good.

But, what did his "almost-assassination" solved, on practical level?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal

Lenin died prematurely, as a result of an assasination attempt. So we can technically say he was assassinated.

Well, a sort-of good thing about Lenin's early death was that it resulted in the rise to power of Stalin and thus in a huge number of the Old Bolsheviks getting purged and executed by Stalin. On the whole, Stalin's rule was certainly extremely catastrophic, but my "sort-of good" comment here specifically refers to the purging and executions of a lot of Old Bolsheviks by Stalin. I certainly wouldn't refer to such an action by Stalin as being completely good, but there was a sense of karmic retribution to this in the sense that these Old Bolsheviks helped to create a brutal, totalitarian, one-party state and then subsequently died at the hands of their own creation.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Had Lenin lived longer, he might have been able to get his Testament out and thus to remove Stalin from his position as General Secretary--which in turn would have probably meant that Stalin would have had a much harder time actually coming to power in the Soviet Union after Lenin's death.

May 2019

Lenin died prematurely, as a result of an assassination attempt. So we can technically say he was assassinated.

Good question, Lenin died and was out of the way but he was still succeeded by Stalin. It might have been better to assassinate Stalin before Operation Barbarossa so the military could be more advanced and prepared and there would be fewer civilians and military lost as Stalin's stupidity would be out of the equation.