Stalin - your thoughts

Status
Closed
Nov 2012
Most documentaries about Stalin and the USSR on Western TV aren't much different from that movie.

To answer the question asked on another page- I am a Ukrainian who lived in Indonesia for a while for work reasons and now am back in the USA. I thankfully was able to escape the hellish dystopia that was the entire 1990's post-Soviet space and moved to NYC in the late '90s.

antonina

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Warsaw, Poland

antonina

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Warsaw, Poland
It is a miracle how Stalin remains popular, in spite of almost 60 years of anti-Stalin lies from the media, starting with Kruschev.
Worshiping a boot that trampled you is miraculous indeed. This peculiar national taste cannot be regarded as a purely Russian affair, though.

For the many nations that were subjected to mass extermination by the Soviet politburo Stalin-glorification equals Nazi-glorification and Holocaust denial.

That any Historumite should be allowed to sport Stalin on his avatar is a disgrace and an insult to millions of victims of the Stalinist regime.

Question: are we to understand that a coy photo of Hitler is an acceptable choice for an avatar from now on?

Nov 2012
:eek: ???

Apropos, have you looked up NKVD Order No.00485 ? I sent you a link: The Polish Operation of the NKVD (1937

You didn't respond. Could you read about Stalin's "Polish Operation" and tell me what you think of it?
Statistical extrapolation
That's the best euphemism for "bullshit" I've ever read.

Show me the archives which show 100,000 Poles killed by NKVD? Not "estimates", but actual hard evidence.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
@Antonina. What do you think about Felix Dzerzhinsky and Konstantin Rokossovsky? My humble opinion is that these two were truly remarkable figures in history of Soviet Russia and Poland. After all, Rokossovsky was Marshal of the Soviet Union AND Marshal of Poland.

antonina

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Warsaw, Poland
But you may continue to cut yourself in your phobias and ambitious attempts to punish Russian "bear" for everything that happened to you, to put the beast under your control once and for all, and save the rest of the world from us mongols.
I'm the wrong address for these repeated coquettish statements about "us Mongols" Putzi - I've already told you I've got Mongol (Tartar) ancestors.
Just look at my eyes :)

Ref. phobias: what do you think of Stalin's NKVD Order 00485?

139,835 people arrested and 111,091 serially executed on ethnic - Polish grounds. This 1937/38 massacre set the pattern for Hitler - showed him the easiest way of getting rid of an unwanted nationality is killing.

At least this is how we may still remember where Poland is on the map and have our portion of fun :eek:
This is unworthy of you, I rate your sense of humour higher than that.

On the margin, I've got a question - have you heard of this guy by any chance? Interesting insight into Soviet underground rock scene, definitely more my style than the lady singer you mentioned.

antonina

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Warsaw, Poland
@Antonina. What do you think about Felix Dzerzhinsky and Konstantin Rokossovsky? My humble opinion is that these two were truly remarkable figures in history of Soviet Russia and Poland. After all, Rokossovsky was Marshal of the Soviet Union AND Marshal of Poland.
Like many other Bolsheviks, including Stalin or Trotsky, Dzierzhinsky was a renegade to his nation (interesting phenomenon btw) And decidedly odious personage altogether, Vyshinsky - if possible - even more so. K.Rokossovsky was an eminent Russian military leader.

antonina

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Warsaw, Poland
That's the best euphemism for "bullshit" I've ever read.

Show me the archives which show 100,000 Poles killed by NKVD? Not "estimates", but actual hard evidence.
I'll oblige you quite soon. Relevant documentation was lately made available to Polish historians by the Ukrainian Institute of Rememberance. It's all there - execution orders, interrogation protocols etc.

Apr 2011
Sarmatia

There is an anecdote about Felix Dzerzhinsky. During peace negotiations in Riga one of the Polish diplomats met with Dzerzhinsky.

Dzerzhinsky asked him: what are people saying about me in Warsaw?

Polish diplomat: they say that you are a murderer, thief and deceiver.

Dzerzhinsky: really? but why? I kill only ruskies...

Another one is rather not funny:

During party meetings, Lenin would often send short notes to some of his colleagues. A story goes that at one gathering in 1918, a note went to Dzerzhinsky, asking how many enemies of the revolution were currently jailed. Dzerzhinsky replied with a number of about 1,500. After reading it, Lenin put a cross next to the number and returned the paper to Dzerzhinsky who immediately stood up and left.

Nobody paid any attention to this sudden departure and only the following day did the result of this correspondence become known: Dzerzhinsky had all of the 1,500 inmates shot that very night, having interpreted Lenin's cross as an execution order. Lenin apparently didn’t mean it – a cross was his usual way of showing he’s read and considered the information. 1,500 people fell victim of Dzerzhinsky’s misinterpretation – something nobody dared criticize.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions