Stamp Act of 1765

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
The Stamp Act was imposed on the colonists by the British in 1765. It put a small tax on every piece of paper used: letters, newspapers, cards, and legal documents.

Do you think the Stamp Act was that uncalled for? Were the British wrong for wanting to tax the colonists?

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
I have mixed feelings about it. The British were right for putting a tax on paper and the like, but the problem was the colonies had no voice in Parliament. This was something Benjamin Franklin was very frustrated with. The goal of the English was to get rich off the new world and give nothing back in turn. This is similar to what happened in Ireland, but the colonies were able to defeat the British army at the heavy cost to the royal treasury.

Jul 2006
The actual cost of the Stamp Act was relatively small. What made the law so offensive to the colonists was not so much its immediate cost but the standard it seemed to set. In the past, taxes and duties on colonial trade had always been viewed as measures to regulate commerce, not to raise money. The Stamp Act, however, was viewed as a direct attempt by England to raise money in the colonies without the approval of the colonial legislatures. If this new tax were allowed to pass without resistance, the colonists reasoned, the door would be open for far more troublesome taxation in the future.

from history.org

Jul 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Its funny that this comment was posted because I was reviewing with some of my students the causes of the revolutionary war. They had to come up with a protest slogan for the stamp act.

"Stomp on the Stamp Act, Stomp on the stamp act!"

"No taxes, no taxes we will beat you with our axes." It was really neat to see them get into the time period.

Jun 2006
Earthquake Central
New York protested with the slogan "Stamp this!" which came with it's own hand gesture.

Jun 2006
Earthquake Central
MrStoff1989 said:
Lol, Much like that of "You're #1?"
Yup.

Although the British and loyalists countered with their own slogan of "Hey! I'm stamping here!"