Status and consolidation of Hinduism in the North East India

Nov 2012
Has the conversion now reached a peak beyond which it cannot go. Hinduism is strong in Sikkim, Tripura, parts of Manipur and Arunachal. Are the remaining Hindus are showing strong resistance.

If you see the parts that converted to Christianity it was Nagaland, Mizoram and Meghalaya; all of which were animist and not Hindu before conversion. Exception being the Jaintias of Meghalaya whose royals were Hinduised but whose populace remained animists. In Assam and Tripura Hinduism has been strong since ancient times. Manipur was recently converted to Vaishnavism just a few centuries ago. My understanding is that the Nagas and Kukis of Manipur are christians but a large part of the Meithei population (I believe 70%-75%) of them along with Bishnupuriyas continue to remain Hindus. Looking further in Sikkim the Nepalese are pimraily Hindus while Bhutias remain Buddhists. Lepchas the original inhabitants who were animists are now primarily Christians.

Further looking at parts of Assam which have been Hindu for over a millenia; the level of evangelical penetration is low. This seems to suggest that the Christian missionries reached a threshold with some loosely animist religious groups but have not been able to actually target Hindu rooted groups. Infact Hinduism has now started consolidating the remaining non converted animists in Meghalaya, Manipur and especially in parts of Arunchal. The Danyi Polyo and the Sanamahism are consolidating under a Hindu family fold and putting up a strong resistance. Bodos too remain 90% Hindu as on date.

How do you see the future of Hinduism in the 7 states of the Northeast and Assam from here on. Would this improve, remain stable or grow.

I also would like to know more on how Hinduism spread in Arunachal since it was largely animist and Buddhist previously.

Would also like to know more on the status of Hinduism in the northeast India.

Last edited:

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
And how is this related to history? At best its religion, at worst its discussing current politics and future speculative outcomes. Should it be in Asian History?

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
yes I am discussing the historical aspects of North Eastern Hinduism with modern standpoint. Please dont make an issue of topic jurisdictions. Humble request to you.
I've brought it to the attention of the Mods. Its their issue now. I'm not going to say anything more. If they don't move it, I have no problems with that.

Jun 2013
Mundo Nuevo
Manipur's Meitei royal family was converted to Hinduism by Brahmins sometime around 300 years ago in the 1700s.

The Court Chronicle of the Kings of Manipur - Cheitharon Kumpapa: Original ... - Saroj N Arambam Parratt - Google Books

The Court Chronicle of the Kings of Manipur - Cheitharon Kumpapa: Original ... - Saroj N Arambam Parratt - Google Books

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitambar_Charairongba"]Pitambar Charairongba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamheiba"]Pamheiba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Meitei_kings"]List of Meitei kings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

One of the Meitei Kings who converted to Hinduism seems to have been confused about the difference between Hindu and Muslim names. He took on the new name "Gharib Nawaz" after adopting Hinduism.

Imperial Gazetteer2 of India, Volume 17, page 186 -- Imperial Gazetteer of India -- Digital South Asia Library

Nov 2012
wow interesting. I also know Tripura and Sikkim were Hindu. Were the Lepchas Hindus as well before their conversion to Christianity and are there Hindu among the Bhutias?

Is Manipuri Sanmarism religion within the larger Hindu fold or is it different? Is Tripuri Hinduism a modern day conversion like Manipur or was it older?

In Meghalaya I know that Khasis and Garos were animists but the Jaintia royals were Hindu? Did this lead to wholesale conversion of the Jaintia subjects as well?

How did Hinduism come to be spread in Arunachal? As part of Greater Tibet it was more Buddhist and animist I believe. Surprisingly if you see in the Northeast the more eastward you go the fewer Hindus you would find yet; Arunchal being eastern most is an exception to this rule with almost 30%-40% of the population being Hindu and along with Buddhists and Danyi Polos reaching to around 60%. Is there a context to this? Is there a conversion or consolidation of Hinduism in Arunchal and is Danyi Polyo considered more like an extension of Hinduism?

Finally do Mizos and Nagas have any Hindu history? or were they as is popularly considered to have been animists?

Jun 2014
India
wow interesting. I also know Tripura and Sikkim were Hindu. Were the Lepchas Hindus as well before their conversion to Christianity and are there Hindu among the Bhutias?

Is Manipuri Sanmarism religion within the larger Hindu fold or is it different? Is Tripuri Hinduism a modern day conversion like Manipur or was it older?

In Meghalaya I know that Khasis and Garos were animists but the Jaintia royals were Hindu? Did this lead to wholesale conversion of the Jaintia subjects as well?

How did Hinduism come to be spread in Arunachal? As part of Greater Tibet it was more Buddhist and animist I believe. Surprisingly if you see in the Northeast the more eastward you go the fewer Hindus you would find yet; Arunchal being eastern most is an exception to this rule with almost 30%-40% of the population being Hindu and along with Buddhists and Danyi Polos reaching to around 60%. Is there a context to this? Is there a conversion or consolidation of Hinduism in Arunchal and is Danyi Polyo considered more like an extension of Hinduism?

Finally do Mizos and Nagas have any Hindu history? or were they as is popularly considered to have been animists?
Well, Hinduism in Tripura is very old. Basically, any land in subcontinent which had little bit of lands suitable for agriculture became either Hindu or Buddhist. Assam saw hinduization much earlier but Tripura was not behind. See this from wiki

Unakoti hill, literally meaning, one less a crore in Bengali, hosts an ancient Shaivite place of worship with huge rock-cut images and stone idols of Lord Shiva. It is the prime tourist spot of Unakoti Tripura District in the Kailashahar Subdivision in the North-eastern Indian state of Tripura.[1]It is a historic Shaiva pilgrimage spot and dates back to 7th – 9th centuries if not earlier. While the marvellous rock carvings, murals with their primitive beauty form the chief attraction, natural beauty including mountain scenery and waterfalls are an added bonus. As per Hindu mythology, when Lord Shiva was going to Kashi along with one crore gods and goddesses including him, he made a night halt at this location. He asked all the gods and goddesses to wake up before sun rise and proceed for Kashi. It is said that in the morning, except Shiva himself, no one else could get up so set out for Kashi himself cursing the others to become stone images as a result we have one less than a crore stone images and carvings at Unakoti.These carvings are located at a beautifully landscaped forest area with green vegetation all around which add to the beauty of the carvings.[2]
The images found at Unakoti are of two types: namely rock-carved figures and stone images. Among the rock cut carvings, the central Shiva head and gigantic Ganesha figures deserve special mention. The central Shiva head known as Unakotiswara Kal Bhairava is about 30 feet high including an embroidered head-dress which itself is 10 feet high. On each side of the head-dress of the central Shiva, there are two full size female figures - one of Durga standing on a lion and another female figure on the other side. In addition three enormous images of Nandi Bull are found half buried in the ground. There are various other stone as well as rock cut images at Unakoti.