Status and consolidation of Hinduism in the North East India

Nov 2018
Arunachal
Hello,

Buddhism I understand but not Animism.

Can you please take time and write a few paragraphs on what are the main practices of the Group you belong to or in general about the people of Arunachal.

Thanks
Actually I belonged to adi community of arunachal and it is the 2nd largest tribe of arunachal Pradesh. We fall into Tani clan of arunachal which constitutes of 6 tribes and are mainly the followers of animist religion ie donyi poloism. In donyi poloism mother nature is worshipped n sacrifices are made to please the spirits. Arunachal mainly constitutes of Tani tribes which follow donyi poloism. Other non Tani tribes follow Buddhism n their other respective gods. Apart from donyi poloism other tribes have their own God and they practice another form of animism that is little different from donyi polo. When RSS came in arunachal they tried to impose Hinduism in arunachal but they failed miserably. So they choose an alternative way to make their way in arunachal n they began to promote local religion with some Hindu ideology. They began to create stories that idu mishmi tribe was associated with lord Krishna and her wife Rukmini. Some of them believe but they have never left their old religion n still worship their goddess amik matai. Yes I agree that some rituals are bit influenced by Hinduism n Christianity but it doesn't mean that you will count the local religion as Hinduism. Even Christianity has been influenced by Judaism. Are they the same religion? I want to make it clear that after the arrival of RSS our local rituals were changed n still we are far different from Hinduism in terms of ideology ,practices ,customs and rituals. Even Christianity was born out of Judaism but donyi poloism is a self religion and it was neither created out of Hinduism and Buddhism. It is the ancient religion of arunachalee tribes and Tibetan tribes .RSS in arunachal didn't succeed in making the people of arunachal as the Hindus like manipuri , tripuri and Assamese. They only influenced some rituals like burning of agarbhatti but not all of them. So don't count the local religion of arunachal as Hinduism. Even people of arunachal don't want to recognize themselves as Hindus. U can say that Buddhism is akin to Hinduism.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I am happy that some of you have not changed your original religion though Christianity has made quite some inroads in Arunachal Pradesh thanks to Nehru and MO Mathai, his private secretary (information based on what my son-in-law's father told me. He was the political agent in Arunachal Pradesh at that time and later in Indira Gandhi's time too). Nehru never cared about that.

BTW, is there a local name for your land? Though, IMHO, Arunachal is a nice name since your state is the first to see the rise of sun in India. Actually I caliberated my digital clock with the rise of sun in the eastern-most part of your state on Summer solstice. I would like that to be the Indian Standard Time, but alas! I am not Modi! ;)

Last edited:
Nov 2014
India
Has the conversion now reached a peak beyond which it cannot go. Hinduism is strong in Sikkim, Tripura, parts of Manipur and Arunachal. Are the remaining Hindus are showing strong resistance.

If you see the parts that converted to Christianity it was Nagaland, Mizoram and Meghalaya; all of which were animist and not Hindu before conversion. Exception being the Jaintias of Meghalaya whose royals were Hinduised but whose populace remained animists. In Assam and Tripura Hinduism has been strong since ancient times. Manipur was recently converted to Vaishnavism just a few centuries ago. My understanding is that the Nagas and Kukis of Manipur are christians but a large part of the Meithei population (I believe 70%-75%) of them along with Bishnupuriyas continue to remain Hindus. Looking further in Sikkim the Nepalese are pimraily Hindus while Bhutias remain Buddhists. Lepchas the original inhabitants who were animists are now primarily Christians.

Further looking at parts of Assam which have been Hindu for over a millenia; the level of evangelical penetration is low. This seems to suggest that the Christian missionries reached a threshold with some loosely animist religious groups but have not been able to actually target Hindu rooted groups. Infact Hinduism has now started consolidating the remaining non converted animists in Meghalaya, Manipur and especially in parts of Arunchal. The Danyi Polyo and the Sanamahism are consolidating under a Hindu family fold and putting up a strong resistance. Bodos too remain 90% Hindu as on date.

How do you see the future of Hinduism in the 7 states of the Northeast and Assam from here on. Would this improve, remain stable or grow.

I also would like to know more on how Hinduism spread in Arunachal since it was largely animist and Buddhist previously.

Would also like to know more on the status of Hinduism in the northeast India.
That is because it is very easy to be a Hindu. One need not change anything, yet he can call himself a Hindu. Take the case of animists of Indonesia. The state of Indonesia requires every citizen to belong to any one of these recognised religions: Islam, Protestant Christianity, Roman-Catholic Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucianism. So, the animists there have started declaring themselves as Hindus to preserve their identity.

Nov 2014
India
Actually I belonged to adi community of arunachal and it is the 2nd largest tribe of arunachal Pradesh. We fall into Tani clan of arunachal which constitutes of 6 tribes and are mainly the followers of animist religion ie donyi poloism. In donyi poloism mother nature is worshipped n sacrifices are made to please the spirits. Arunachal mainly constitutes of Tani tribes which follow donyi poloism. Other non Tani tribes follow Buddhism n their other respective gods. Apart from donyi poloism other tribes have their own God and they practice another form of animism that is little different from donyi polo. When RSS came in arunachal they tried to impose Hinduism in arunachal but they failed miserably. So they choose an alternative way to make their way in arunachal n they began to promote local religion with some Hindu ideology. They began to create stories that idu mishmi tribe was associated with lord Krishna and her wife Rukmini. Some of them believe but they have never left their old religion n still worship their goddess amik matai. Yes I agree that some rituals are bit influenced by Hinduism n Christianity but it doesn't mean that you will count the local religion as Hinduism. Even Christianity has been influenced by Judaism. Are they the same religion? I want to make it clear that after the arrival of RSS our local rituals were changed n still we are far different from Hinduism in terms of ideology ,practices ,customs and rituals. Even Christianity was born out of Judaism but donyi poloism is a self religion and it was neither created out of Hinduism and Buddhism. It is the ancient religion of arunachalee tribes and Tibetan tribes .RSS in arunachal didn't succeed in making the people of arunachal as the Hindus like manipuri , tripuri and Assamese. They only influenced some rituals like burning of agarbhatti but not all of them. So don't count the local religion of arunachal as Hinduism. Even people of arunachal don't want to recognize themselves as Hindus. U can say that Buddhism is akin to Hinduism.
Lune, come down to south India and we are mostly Hindus. But you would not recognise us to be Hindus, given that you derive perspective of Hinduism from RSS. There are Hindus and Hindus and Hindus etc.

Oct 2015
India
Actually I belonged to adi community of arunachal and it is the 2nd largest tribe of arunachal Pradesh. We fall into Tani clan of arunachal which constitutes of 6 tribes and are mainly the followers of animist religion ie donyi poloism. In donyi poloism mother nature is worshipped n sacrifices are made to please the spirits. Arunachal mainly constitutes of Tani tribes which follow donyi poloism. Other non Tani tribes follow Buddhism n their other respective gods. Apart from donyi poloism other tribes have their own God and they practice another form of animism that is little different from donyi polo. .....
Nice. Please tell a bit more on Donyi Polo on things like:

How is Mother Nature worshiped,
On sacrifice - is there a priest, what animal is sacrificed, who does the sacrifice
Social system - Is there matriarchy? Whom one can marry & marriage is prohibited with (relationship)
What are the main festivals

Just a few lines on each to understand major difference.

As regards other points in your post: Hinduism today is itself a mixture of hundreds of belief systems but with core philosophy.

About RSS I don't have much first hand knowledge. My first impression in College (40+ years back) was that they are disciplined guys (get up early in morning and do exercise). It is again in news last few years. They seem to be rather staunchly nationalistic. They dislike conversions. They are said to be capable of violence - which I guess is politically motivated because concrete evidence is not available either in public discourse or in court judgement.

Back to Donyi Polo.

Last edited:
Nov 2018
Arunachal
I am happy that some of you have not changed your original religion though Christianity has made quite some inroads in Arunachal Pradesh thanks to Nehru and MO Mathai, his private secretary (information based on what my son-in-law's father told me. He was the political agent in Arunachal Pradesh at that time and later in Indira Gandhi's time too). Nehru never cared about that.

BTW, is there a local name for your land? Though, IMHO, Arunachal is a nice name since your state is the first to see the rise of sun in India. Actually I caliberated my digital clock with the rise of sun in the eastern-most part of your state on Summer solstice. I would like that to be the Indian Standard Time, but alas! I am not Modi! ;)
Thank q for replying to my statement. Actually Hindu extremists is no saint and they always tried to impose their religion on the local belief. Currently they are promoting local religion but I m damn sure dat they have some hidden agenda. They want people of arunachal to learn Sanskrit. Because of imposition of Hindi in arunachal people are gradually losing their local language. We never embrace Hinduism till today n RSS still want outsiders to see donyi poloism as Hindus. Because of that many people assumed that arunachalee follow Hinduism which is far from reality. Regarding ur question on the local name of arunachal I m not sure about it bcoz I m way too poor in history. According to my knowledge I don't think present arunachal did had local name as it was a part of greater Tibet.

Nov 2018
Arunachal
Lune, come down to south India and we are mostly Hindus. But you would not recognise us to be Hindus, given that you derive perspective of Hinduism from RSS. There are Hindus and Hindus and Hindus etc.
Bro plz don't see us as Hindus. We don't worship Hindu deity and rituals are far different from Hinduism. Donyi poloism does not come under the umbrella of Hinduism. We have distinct religion

Nov 2018
Arunachal
Bro plz don't see us as Hindus. We don't worship Hindu deity and rituals are far different from Hinduism. Donyi poloism does not come under the umbrella of Hinduism. We have distinct religion
I definitely want to visit south india as I really appreciate your rich culture. I have heard from my friends that people of south India are more tolerant than North Indian.Just like arunachal south Indian states have composition of many religions. Lastly we never embrace Hinduism n we have been very firm regarding our religion .you might be cringing that why constantly am I reminding you of my religion bcoz many misconception have been spread about arunachal n many outsiders see donyi poloism as Hinduism which irks every arunachalee. Thank q for replying my statement.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Lune, I am a BJP supporter. We have no problem if Arunachalis continue with Donyi Poloism. We do not like when native people leave their own religion. There are other tribes in India too who follow their own religions.

As for learning Hindi, I do not see a problem there. It will benefit Arunachalis when they want to study or get employment outside their state. Do not fear about loss of local language. No language has been lost in India. We have 29 official languages, 22 Scheduled languages, and the states have full authority to declare state languages. For example Sikkim, apart from Nepali, has 10 officially recognized languages (Bhutia, Gurung, Lepcha, Limboo, Mangar, Mukhia, Newari, Rai, Sherpa and Tamang are the Additional Official Languages for the purpose of preservation of culture and tradition). West Bengal in addition to Bengali has these languages with official status - Nepali in Darjeeling and Kurseong sub-divisions, Urdu, Hindi, Odia, Santali, Punjabi, Kamtapuri, Rajbanshi, Kurmali and Kurukh.
Languages with official status in India - Wikipedia