Sticks & stones

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
"Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never harm me" What has changed since his was a guide for dealing with others, especially obnoxious types?

Oct 2009
San Diego
"Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never harm me" What has changed since his was a guide for dealing with others, especially obnoxious types?
we started believing and teaching children that words have the power to do real harm- and, as a result, we have young people killing themselves over tweets.

Child Psychologists imbecilically thought that if Children only understood how hurtful words could be- that they would be nicer to each other.
This alone proves they had zero comprehension of children.
told words can harm- they immediately USED them to harm.

And they believed that pother's words, directed at them, caused them real harm.

me- I raised my sons on the 'sticks and stones' paradigm- and as a result they were bulletproof.

Mar 2018
UK
we started believing and teaching children that words have the power to do real harm- and, as a result, we have young people killing themselves over tweets.

Child Psychologists imbecilically thought that if Children only understood how hurtful words could be- that they would be nicer to each other.
This alone proves they had zero comprehension of children.
told words can harm- they immediately USED them to harm.

And they believed that pother's words, directed at them, caused them real harm.

me- I raised my sons on the 'sticks and stones' paradigm- and as a result they were bulletproof.
Because, as we all know, pre 1999 kids were all nice and no bullying ever happened. I think I've gone blind from rolling my eyes too far back into my head.

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
Because, as we all know, pre 1999 kids were all nice and no bullying ever happened. I think I've gone blind from rolling my eyes too far back into my head.
There clearly were bullies. As an nonathletic, skinny ( did not break 100 pounds till 8th grade) and Jewish in a non Jewish neighborhood I was a common target, but something was very different in my day

Oct 2009
San Diego
That's the whole point... kids have always been vicious. Its just that back then we trained our children to ignore the stupid things mean kids say.

Today, we teach them that words actually do them real harm. And so they feel really harmed.

Similar History Discussions