Submarines disappeared

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
HMS Artemis ( Her Majesty's Submarine :)

A rather embarrassing loss . Sank while moored in 9 meters of water while being refueled .

Due to 'unspecified causes ' (as originally stated ) ... :rolleyes: * , the sub dipped by the bow and electrical shore supply cables which was encumbering the rear escape hatch prevented it from being closed. The bow filled and the sub went to the bottom.

Oopsa !

* " Someone ' forgot to shut the torpedo loading bay .

( " As her fuel tanks were flooded with water in readiness to take on fuel, the vessel sat lower in the water. Seawater began gushing through the torpedo bay at the stern and then an open hatch above.

Within 15 minutes the 1,300-ton submarine, which had served the Navy for 25 years, had sunk to the bottom of the dock. Three crew members trapped inside, although they escaped 12 hours later. "

Antiques Roadshow object solves 40-year puzzle of how 280ft Royal Navy submarine SANK in 1971 | Daily Mail Online

Check out some of the facial expressions in the background :D

1568030976930.png

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Hardly a mystery 'solved' by Antiques Roadshow. The causes of Artemis clusterfuck were well known and when I was doing initial submarine training the incident was studied as an example of how fast things can go wrong when you don't pay attention.

Aug 2019
New York
Hardly a mystery 'solved' by Antiques Roadshow. The causes of Artemis clusterfuck were well known and when I was doing initial submarine training the incident was studied as an example of how fast things can go wrong when you don't pay attention.
Knock off the vulgarity, please.

Feb 2017
Devon, UK
Not a lost sub exactly, but a UK sub hull section being transported up the Irish sea fell off the ship and had to be recovered (late 80s I think). I had a friend at the time who was normally a rig diver in the North Sea oilfields. He got recruited to the salvage team on the quiet and made to sign the Official Secrets Act. When he came back I asked him what he'd been doing and he said he couldn't tell me. He was surprised to find that in the meantime it had already been all over the news.

Apr 2018
India
Re HM Sub Urge. I see no reference in your link to the British war reporter Bernard Gray who appears to have been one of those lost. This caused a good deal of confusion as his presence on the submarine was unauthorised.
Didn't know that meself. Good info. However it seems the Admiralty is still pretty embarassed about the whole thing.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Hardly a mystery 'solved' by Antiques Roadshow. The causes of Artemis **** were well known and when I was doing initial submarine training the incident was studied as an example of how fast things can go wrong when you don't pay attention.
No doubt ... WITHIN the navy it is known and studyied ;

BBC - Radio 4 Making History - The sinking of HMS Artemis, 1971

The Daily Mail article seems to relate to a 'public mystery' .

Note ;

In the article citied ; " ... Following the calamity, a damning report was compiled laying blame firmly on the crew for negligence."

and " The calamitous little-known tale ..."

and the header ; " Antiques Roadshow reveals .... (not solves - the 'solving' relates to 'an object' )

it helps to actually read the words .

- " how fast things can go wrong when you don't pay attention " :D

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
No doubt ... WITHIN the navy it is known and studyied ;

BBC - Radio 4 Making History - The sinking of HMS Artemis, 1971

The Daily Mail article seems to relate to a 'public mystery' .

Note ;

In the article citied ; " ... Following the calamity, a damning report was compiled laying blame firmly on the crew for negligence."

and " The calamitous little-known tale ..."

and the header ; " Antiques Roadshow reveals .... (not solves - the 'solving' relates to 'an object' )

it helps to actually read the words .

- " how fast things can go wrong when you don't pay attention " :D
Your link uses the word 'solves' therefore so did I, and the 'mystery object' - an engine telegraph - neither reveals, solves nor brings anything to light about the incident at all, it's just a souvenir from a boat that was lost through negilgence. The tale is hardly 'little known' when it was on the front page of the Daily Mail and nearly every other paper in the country as well.:p

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Object solves , not
Your link uses the word 'solves' therefore so did I, and the 'mystery object' - an engine telegraph - neither reveals, solves nor brings anything to light about the incident at all, it's just a souvenir from a boat that was lost through negilgence. The tale is hardly 'little known' when it was on the front page of the Daily Mail and nearly every other paper in the country as well.:p
You might like this link better then. ( Except it claims the causes where 'unspecified ' . )

HMS Artemis (P 449) of the Royal Navy - British Submarine of the A class - Allied Warships of WWII - uboat.net

A lengthy and detailed list of multiple causes and bad practices done previously that led to the issues ;

THE SINKING OF HMS/m ARTEMIS - Submarines Association ...

Last edited:

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Object solves , not

You might like this link better then. ( Except it claims the causes where 'unspecified ' . )

HMS Artemis (P 449) of the Royal Navy - British Submarine of the A class - Allied Warships of WWII - uboat.net

A lengthy and detailed list of multiple causes and bad practices done previously that led to the issues ;

THE SINKING OF HMS/m ARTEMIS - Submarines Association ...

Yes, I have read Peter Smiths article ( I know the bloke) and that is an accurate account of the whole embarrassing saga, that could easily have led to people being killed. There is no one comes out of it looking good, in spite of the actions by some once the boat began to sink. When I did my initial SM training at HMS Dolphin in 1977 the lessons learned from Artemis incident were an integral part of the training.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
HMS Thetis - sank in shallow water in Liverpool Bay in 1939 while on trials. One of the valves that checked for water in a torpedo tube had been painted over. Her stern was out of the water but the crew weren’t rescued - too long a tale to tell here. She was towed to Holyhead where somebody had the ghastly task of getting the bodies out. Recommissioned as HMS Thunderbolt and eventually sunk in the Med and became the only submarine to be sunk twice. All this from memory - don’t quote me!

Similar History Discussions