Suggest some good history based TV series

Aug 2012
It is an amazing show, but I will forever be bitter that it ended after two seasons. Were there any justice in the world, it would have went on and on, through Augustus and those who came after him.
All these years later, I still wonder what they would have done with the likes of Caligula and Claudius.

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
It only ran five episodes, but "City of Vice", about Henry Fielding and the Bow Street Runners (London's first police force), was brilliant.

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
In the years between the first posts in this thread and its recent revival, a number of good historical series began:
Casualty 1900s (London Hospital in the U.S.)
The Knick

Victoria
The Crown
Versailles
Babylon Berlin
Charite

And a number of series and mini-series set during World War I for the 100th anniversary of the war. You can find them in posts here on war movies/series..

Ancientgeezer

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
It is an amazing show, but I will forever be bitter that it ended after two seasons. Were there any justice in the world, it would have went on and on, through Augustus and those who came after him.
All these years later, I still wonder what they would have done with the likes of Caligula and Claudius.
Three further seasons were planned and scripts for two completed. The problem (as always) was cost--at the time the production was one of the most expensive commissioned by HBO and the BBC was hard pressed on their small share. Add to that the lavish "Rome" built at Cinecittà burnt down ( a bit later and they could have had a Nero episode).
The scripts though are being hawked around and rumour has it that Amazon or Netflix may be in the game.

cachibatches

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Watch both seasons of ROME, I CLAUDIUS, and an old mini-series called MASADA back to back and you will cover an almost continuous 125 years in Roman history and be thoroughly entertained.

Peter O'Toole is incredible and MASADA makes a very good companion piece to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

Last edited:

Yôḥānān

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
Portugal
About Roman times there is also The Last Days of Pompeii (1984). I was giving a look to it again, and is it my impression or it is the Navigium Isidis procession featured at the beginning?

From medieval times I also remember a British TV show featuring a Robin Hood kind of hero who had a hawk mask. I think I was able to track the show, it hasn't been put to DVD and much to my surprise it was about a real character. However I forgot the name of the show again and haven't been able to find it since.

Last edited:
Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
Yôḥānān;2970295 said:
From medieval times I also remember a British TV show featuring a Robin Hood kind of hero who had a hawk mask. I think I was able to track the show, it hasn't been put to DVD and much to my surprise it was about a real character. However I forgot the name of the show again and haven't been able to find it since.

It was probably about a doctor. Medieval doctors wore masks with beaks that were stuffed with aromatic herbs which they believed prevented them from contracting disease.

Yôḥānān

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
Portugal
It was probably about a doctor. Medieval doctors wore masks with beaks that were stuffed with aromatic herbs which they believed prevented them from contracting disease.

Thanks for the info, didn't knew about that. I remember he used a bow or a crossbow and when I was able to find what I think was the show I think it it was a Welsh hero. And there was some mention to a marsh or a swamp in the Portuguese title.

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Norway
Who would play Flashman though? (ME! ME! ME!) I think the only actor who could have done it well was Errol Flynn, in fact I'd go as far as to say Flashman was based on Errol Flynn.

I imagine GMF watched these very popular films in the 40s/50s and then thought "Aha!"
Dominic West has read the Flashman novels for the audiobooks and also suggested himself as the least if there ever is a miniserie. Search DOMINIC WEST +FLASHMAN in Google Images and see for yourself. He is a fine actor (have you seen "The Wire" and "The Hour"?)
Gerald Butler would also make a fine Flashman.