Suggest some good history based TV series

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
And two more very good series:

The German Heimat following a German family from 1919 through 1984. It's especially good on the coming of nazism and the reactions of residents of a small village.

The French Un Village Francais about a small French village just inside occupied France, from the arrival of the Germans through the liberation by the Americans. Each season is one year from late 1939 through 1945, with one season showing the aftermath: the attempts of the different factions to define the narrative of what happened.

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
Currently obsessed with:

Peaky Blinders
The Alienist
Outlander
The Last Kingdom

Has anyone watched Netflix's Roman Empire? They've been doing some really good stuff, but the trailer for it looks... meh.
I've watched two of the seasons, and am now in the third. It's essentially a documentary with dramatized scenes, giving more information on the subjects (Commodus, Julius Caesar, and Caligula) than you usually get in the highly sensationalized portrayals of these people. I like it, but it isn't high production values. I'm also concerned that the dramatized scenes don't seem to have been researched very well. The Roman cavalry have stirrups! The meal scenes show people sitting around dining tables. If anyone is up enough on how Romans lived to comment on some of the scenes, I'd appreciate it.

May 2011
New Iberia, La.
Currently rewatching "Deadwood". Don't watch it if you don't like bad language. For my generation, try "Combat" and "Twelve O'Clock High", both are on YouTube.