Superior military power Prussia or United States

Jun 2010
Fallingwater
If Prussian armies of Austro-Prussian War were to face the ACW Union or Confederate forces, could they come out on top? If the united states were to replace France during the Franco-Prussian war, how much better would they have performed?

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
It would depend on who the Kyrellian Armada observing from the Rings of Saturn decided to back, and transport either the American army to Europe or the Prussian army to America for starters.

Reactions: Futurist and Tulius
Jun 2010
Fallingwater
It would depend on who the Kyrellian Armada observing from the Rings of Saturn decided to back, and transport either the American army to Europe or the Prussian army to America for starters.
Maybe they will unite and push back against Jaghatai Khan's jetbike raids?

Reactions: Futurist and Zip

Lee-Sensei

Ad Honorem
Aug 2012
That would depend on how they meet. If you’re asking which army was qualitatively superior, I’d have to go with the Prussian Army.

Reactions: Futurist

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
If the Union Army had fought the Civil War and still remembered all of those valuable lessons it had learned...

One advantage of the Prussian Army was their excellent staff work. Confederate armies never impressed me with their staff work, but the Union staffs weren't bad - better than the French staffs.
Another advantage the Prussians had over the French was their use of railroads. By the end of the war the Union Army could do some impressive tasks with railroads. After the Battle of Chickamauga the Union transferred two corps of the Army of the Potomac to Chattanooga in a matter of days. After the Battle of Nashville one or two corps were transferred to Virginia pretty quickly.
The Prussians had the Needle gun. The Union Army was upgrading to repeaters or at least breech loaders.
After the Civil War the Union Army had a whole slew of experienced combat commanders. The Prussians did not have that level of experience at the beginning of the Austrian War.

Lee-Sensei

Ad Honorem
Aug 2012
That would depend on how they meet. If you’re asking which army was qualitatively superior, I’d have to go with the Prussians.
It’s hard to say, but I’d put Prussia, France and Russia ahead of them. They’d still rank fairly high. Britain’s hard to place, since it was primarily a naval and commercial power, but I’d say that the British had much greater military potential if they had to fight an industrial war. I’d probably put the Union in the same tier as Austria. Maybe a little bit higher, since they have readier access to more resources and a stronger industrial base.

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Virginia
Chlodio is right, the great Prussian advantages were the needle gun and the professional General Staff.
The US volunteer army during the Civil War developed incomparable technical staff organizations for logistics and transportation (railroads, steamships, telegraph, supply, medical et al); mostly using expert personnel drawn from civilian life.
But the operational staffs were still amateurish and were made up mostly of friends and confidants of the commanders. There were no staff schools, no special training, no standard operational doctrine, no mobilization or operational planning. A civil war commander often had a hard time getting his subordinates to understand or carry out his orders; A Prussian commander always had a professionally trained general staff officer to advise him and compose his orders, and another similarly trained staff officer on the receiving end to interpret them and to see they were carried out.
Didn't Moltke say the General Staff was the "nervous system of the Army"?

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
That's about the best reply. Unless we want to double compare maybe with the Zulu nation?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
If Prussian armies of Austro-Prussian War were to face the ACW Union or Confederate forces, could they come out on top? If the united states were to replace France during the Franco-Prussian war, how much better would they have performed?
This would be more adequate in the speculative sub-forum. It isn't really military history. It didn't happend.