Switzerland rejects free money for all

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
The obvious question about the proposed guaranteed income is; what effect would that have on the value of the currency? Wouldn't that happen to the Swiss frank?

In terms of abuse of the system. We have that simplistic and incorrect attitude here too. . I say that because I worked for Australian Federal welfare for 25 years. The common perception of welfare recipients is simply wrong. Believe it or not, most people do not enjoy being poor or being dependent on government payments.

I'm not sure how well it would work. But, like other people have said, some amount of money could potentially be saved by a UBI absorbing these other programs. For example, how much of the money allocated for Social Security goes to pay employees who work for the administration? How much of it is used to keep the lights on, rent/buy facilities, etc.
I take it the expenditure figures for Social Security and Medicare & Medicaid include the administration costs. I don't know but I would be surpised if those costs amount to more than 5% of the total. What are you suggesting is done with that?

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
The common perception of welfare recipients is simply wrong. Believe it or not, most people do not enjoy being poor or being dependent on government payments.
Agreed.

I find odd that a simple check on when economic conjecture is changing is never token into account: when economy is going better, there are jobs created and unemployment is falling. Meaning (logically) , that most people do prefer taking the existing new jobs and not remain on unemployment.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
I take it the expenditure figures for Social Security and Medicare & Medicaid include the administration costs. I don't know but I would be surpised if those costs amount to more than 5% of the total. What are you suggesting is done with that?
It's totally anecdotal, so take it or leave it: a doc friend of mine (in California) was complaining about the paper work, saying that is taking more time than actual medical practising. He hired a person, not a medical assistant but an administrative secretary.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
The People's Republik of Kalifornia.
1. You're implying that 5% of this number is somehow negligible, it's over $200 billion dollars... if my math serves me right. And that's if 5% (YOUR GUESS, NOT MINE) is the correct number, maybe more/maybe less.

2. I'm not suggesting anything be "done" with it.........

Any other questions.........?

Last edited:

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
OK, no substantive arguments have been provided by anyone that this scheme could be afforded.
To be honest, it's a question of aproach, and it would finally end to an ideological/political oppinion: depending on the position one's taking, a lot of things can't/shouldn't be afforded.

Blunt example: why should unemployment be paid at all? Why should taxes for in people that don't work pockets?

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
The People's Republik of Kalifornia.
OK, no substantive arguments have been provided by anyone that this scheme could be afforded.
That's confirmation bias on your part.

It doesn't help that you've continued to throw up straw man arguments and to use circular reasoning to continually arrive at your own preexisting beliefs and conclusions.

Similar History Discussions