Syrian Civil War: military operations (the show must go on)

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
Idlib is going to be a big job which will need maximum manpower so they'll let the rebel factions fight each other for territory and use up their own manpower while they train up new units
It did occur to me that shipping so many different terrorist groups to Idlib might result in the various groups fighting one another. But is this actually happening?

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
All infantry... From what I've read, more Egyptians had RPGs, if any AT weapons.
I didn't write that they were issued and used them, but that they were trained on them. After training, should command suddenly feel the need they can truck in a convoy of Saggers and whichever regiment holds the sector can be issued them. But only if they know how to use them.

RPGs are close range AT weapons, generally used for inside 200-300 meters. Defenses are staged in depth based on engagement ranges of weapons. ATGM could achieve first round hits out to 3k m, actually being more accurate than contemporary tank rounds.

So in theory an IDF force of tanks and mechanized infantry trying to take ground held only by infantry would face 3,000 meters of limited Sagger fire. After weathering that and closing on objective they'd face a force where every single squad had at least one RPG-7. This doesn't even consider heavy weapons or enemy armor present, these are just company level infantry weapons.

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
RPGs are close range AT weapons, generally used for inside 200-300 meters. Defenses are staged in depth based on engagement ranges of weapons. ATGM could achieve first round hits out to 3k m
Yes I knew that. Ever play the old wargame IDF btw? Very complicated and detailed.

May 2017
Syria
Hooray! Now if only they can take Daraa, Idlib, and see the Turks and US pullout....
Daraa and Idlib are close term, achievable goals. But unfortunately for all of us the latter two aren't gonna happen in the near future..

But still, the victory in Damascus is a joy, and has simply put it as plain as it can get: Syria will prevail!