Syrian Civil War: military operations (the show must go on)

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
General SAA gains, Sukayk and Tell Sukayk, Maghar al-harman, none of those seem to be significant so theyre probably large villages
SOHR is saying SAA have take Hobeit which is a sizeable town in Idlib

Looks like Jaish al- Islam have used up too much of their strength in counter-attacks and are giving way.

Also strangely theres fighting around ICARDA near Aleppo, i thought that had been taken along time ago but it looks like whatever version of Al-Quaida is still in the area is still using the research farms and the storage facility as a base.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Okay i've got the significance of Hobeit/Habit now.

Rebel territory is an inverted pyramid. The SAA have been attacking on the south west side to draw rebel forces down there. the Rebels then made a counter-attack on the eastern side to either break through or at least divert the SAA's professional forces over there.

Now the SAA are using professional units plus NDF to attack Hobeit which is the top left corner of the pyramid and Tel Skey which is the top right. Theyre pushing the rebels back from both sides towards Khan Sheikun in the centre which means anyone still in the body of the pyramid south of that line is risking being caught in a cauldron. THe Russian and the SAA really do love that tactic.

Theres rumours Kafr Zita and a few other villages in the possible cauldron are already discussing defecting from the rebels and reconciliation before the worst of the fighting gets to them.

Also interesting is the use of NDF units from Mardeh and Squalbiyah (Still no consistent spelling of that one) these are local guys whos main highway is blocked by rebel territory. If they clear it they secure military supplies and trade which explains why theyre really going for the rebels, theyve got skin in the game, its their money and families theyre trying to secure.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
It still seems to be hard going , the gains are rather small ,
I would have though clearing the North along the Latakia highway would be an obvious move
on the other hand , the fighting now could recover some good farming land

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
Also interesting is the use of NDF units from Mardeh and Squalbiyah (Still no consistent spelling of that one) these are local guys whos main highway is blocked by rebel territory. If they clear it they secure military supplies and trade which explains why theyre really going for the rebels, theyve got skin in the game, its their money and families theyre trying to secure.
Your posts are informative but I'm confused by this. If their main highway is blocked by rebels why go for them?

Jul 2019
New Jersey
I've been seeing a lot of reports of pro-Assad tanks being blown up in combat. Losing 4 (?) tanks in one day against the rebels is pretty bad, no? I haven't seen those sorts of casualties among Assad's fighters for some time now. It seems like the rebels are really putting a stiff fight at that salient Assad and the Russians are trying to create behind their lines, and so far government gains have been rather underwhelming.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
four tanks is twenty men of which at least 6 would escape unhurt ,
tanks are a big saving in manpower compared to an infantry assault

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
I've been seeing a lot of reports of pro-Assad tanks being blown up in combat. Losing 4 (?) tanks in one day against the rebels is pretty bad, no? I haven't seen those sorts of casualties among Assad's fighters for some time now. It seems like the rebels are really putting a stiff fight at that salient Assad and the Russians are trying to create behind their lines, and so far government gains have been rather underwhelming.
Depends where the fighting is, who'se tanks they were and what they gained for the loss.

The NDF are fairly inexperienced and not well organised, if they lost a couple of T55s or T62s then its not surprising, if Tiger force or the 4th division lost some of their T90s then it would be.

The fighting in the south has been stiff, the SAA are quite pleased with taking Hobeit/habit with limited losses and from what i can see theyre stunned at how easily they took Tel Skey. Its a defended mountaintop and well fortified town, they were expecting heavy losses and the rebels barely defended it so the just walked in.
Its a mixed bag.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Your posts are informative but I'm confused by this. If their main highway is blocked by rebels why go for them?
Dont worry about it, theres five different spellings for every town, the SAA only show off their victories, the rebels are pretty much the same with a few added martyrs and suicide bombers, SOHR likes showing casualty numbers but doesnt help tactically so i'm struggling to get a hang of whats happening and where, so im sometimes just taking a best guess at whats happening.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
" Dont worry about it, theres five different spellings for every town "
Oh yes ! , it make following events on the ground a bit of a puzzle sometimes
as for claims and counter-claims , take them all with a grain of salt
the only thing for sure is agglomeration gained or lost

Similar History Discussions