Taking notes while reading history books?

Do you take notes while reading history books?

• Total voters
Dec 2017
America
Is this something that you do or recommend?

Reading while taking notes is something that I never really did. And I assumed everyone else was the same because you can't properly enjoy a story if you are stopping every few seconds to take a few notes. And it takes MUCH longer to read then. But the thing is that after a few months, you will forget most of what you read. So notes would be a helpful tool to look back at, especially when trying to debate a topic with someone who is knowledgeable on the subject. Some might say to read it without taking notes the first time and then read it while taking notes the second time, but that usually takes a much longer time and many people don't have the attention span or energy (especially those of us that rent books and are busy with life). Though that would probably be the ideal strategy.

By the way, when I'm talking about taking, I generally think of taking notes on Microsoft Word or something. And the types of books I usually read are hard copies. That's my situation at least, just so you know where I'm coming from. But if those cases don't apply to you, feel free to specify.

So the question is, do you just read books and hope that you will remember most of what you read for as long as possible? Or do you take notes of certain points in the book to look back at in the future? Also, what strategy would you recommend?

Last edited:
Jan 2016
United States, MO
What about if you were renting a book from the library or something? Or are you never in that situation?
I don't take notes, but instead use little post-it tabs to mark pages or lines that have something I want to remember. After reading the book I type a little synopsis and record some useful information.

Oct 2018
Easton, PA
I guess it come down to a learning style. I put the book aside and take out a blank piece of paper. I try to write down everything I remember about times dates, thoughts, etc.

Jun 2018
New York
I started underlining and adding little notes in my last year of college because of the nature of the work I was doing and it became a necessity, I ended up enjoying it and started doing it for fun as well.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
I started underlining and adding little notes in my last year of college because of the nature of the work I was doing and it became a necessity, I ended up enjoying it and started doing it for fun as well.
More or less the same here.

It happened a couple of times to re-read the book after a while and make another note. It's interesting to see the difference.

Baltis

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Texas
I tend to highlight and underline and make notes in the margins of my books. Nobody has ever accused me of failing to get my money's worth from reading a book but I think the resale value is pretty much out the window. :):)