Taking Notes?

Majasprat

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Canada BC
I have some questions regarding note taking when reading a history book.

Do you take notes at all?

How do you take the notes?

What content should you take a note of?

As a side note this is not for any sort of assignment or essay etc. This is just for when you read a book just out of interst.

R5 plus

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
Home of Ringing Rocks
I have some questions regarding note taking when reading a history book.

Do you take notes at all?

How do you take the notes?

What content should you take a note of?

As a side note this is not for any sort of assignment or essay etc. This is just for when you read a book just out of interst.
When note taking for school, I think I used a three-ring binder of some sort and kept notes that way.

For notes now, sometimes I'll write things in a comp notebook, sometimes I'll mark pages with post it notes - if I own the book I'll use different color highlighters to take note of the important parts and some written notes in the margins.

I also use my subscriptions here to keep track of some stuff.

I'm not terribly organized, so my example might not be the best compared to others here.

EDIT: As far as what stuff I take note of...whatever's interesting and important to my writing.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
I find that taking point form notes helps. I just need key phrases or words that help me remember what was discussed. I don't worry about grammar much when taking notes, because I don't want to miss any of what is said in the lecture.

R5 plus

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
Home of Ringing Rocks
Oo, I also write/type timelines. And right now am trying to make an organizational chart to help me understand a book I'm reading currently.

Majasprat

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Canada BC
Sorry for not replying sooner I kept forgetting. Thanks this has been helpful. I am one of those people that is constantly worried about missing info. I guess that is unavoidable unless you want to take notes every other sentence. :lol:

Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.
I have a pen scanner. I scan in the quote I need, and the information on the source. Then I add any information I want to that note. This goes into an HTML document that I can search when needed.

Jan 2014
Portugal
I've think in doing it many times when I'm reading. (definitely using paper and pencil and save the sheet inside the book).
Will start doing it next year for academic purposes.

May 2013
UK
I consider myself relatively good at summarizing things, but have trouble remembering details and specific knowledge at times, so what I do is (regardless of whether it's for assignment of general interest) I tend to write down quotations from a book which leads to some specific detail.