Talk about stolen wealth, Spain took so much from Spanish America

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Look at all the gold and silver on treasure fleets for centuries. Mexico, Bolivia, etc. were really robbed by a colonial power.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Did anyone do a study of how much of this gold and silver actually made it to Spain as opposed to England and other foreign powers thanks to pirates like Drake and others? My point it that it wasn't just Spain that benefited from the plundering of Spanish America.

Sep 2019
Slovenia
In Slovenia you had second biggest mercury mine in the world in Idrija. First was Almaden in Spain. Mercury was used to purify gold and silver much of it coming from Latin America. Disastrous fire hit Almaden in second part of 18th century. Spanish crown made contract with Austrian emperor who owned the mine in Idrija that they will be supplied from Slovenia until Almaden is repaired and works with full power and this big bussiness filled around 5% of imperial budget. Gold and silver from Latin America was used much for making new coins and in that time that was an important contribution for European economy. People from Idrija were exempt from military service during the time of contract with Spain.

Mercury mine in Idrija, published in 1960 in Idrija, written by Ivan Mohorič, pages 159-160.

Americans named their mercury mines in California New Idria and New Almadén.

Last edited:

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I realize most of the gold and silver wound up in England, Holland, China, etc.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Didn't the Aztecs steal their gold from their subjugated vassals?

Also, I can't resist this:

They really stole their people's hearts!

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
Didn't the Aztecs steal their gold from their subjugated vassals?

Also, I can't resist this:

They really stole their people's hearts!
The Aztecs didn't have that much gold, indeed the Spaniards were quite disappointed with the amount, most of which the Spaniards already had before their disastrous retreat from the city, when much of it was lost in the lake. As in turned out the value of the conquest to most the guys who actually did it was in the labor of the conquered and their land.

The Aztecs kept scrupulous records of the tribute from their vassals and most of it was in goods. And feathers; the Aztecs placed great value in rare and beautiful feathers. Sensitive people with a delicate appreciation for beauty...when they weren't flaying people or ripping their hearts out.

I think the conquest of Peru was a bigger score in terms of fast cash than the conquest of the Aztecs was.

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
From Portuguese America. Portugal traded gold for coffee, sugar, pepper and bananas.I think I'm not wrong.

-----

Da América portuguêsa. Portugal fazia a troca do ouro,por café açucar pimenta e bananas.Penso que não estou errado.