Tamerlane's Tomb

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Not sure if this is the right category, central Asia isn't specifically mentioned in the Asian or Middle-Eastern categories.
I know Tamerlane's tomb is in a mosque in Samarkand but little else. Also that Soviet archeologists are said to have opened it days before the German invasion and reburied him with full Muslim rights days before the victory at Stalingrad. Is it still there? After his death did anything notable happened there? Also is the mosque it is located at notable for anything?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
OK, That's weird...
Legend say Tamerlane's tomb had in inscription that said “When I Rise From the Dead, The World Shall Tremble;” Whosoever disturbs my tomb will unleash an invader more terrible than I." Many doubt the validity of this curse story but facts are Germany invaded two days after the tomb was opened (and his body shipped to Moscow) and after it was reburied the Soviets were victorious at Stalingrad. More info here: 15 Interesting Facts About Tamerlane's Curse

Reactions: sparky

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
during the winter of 41 , as the German were closing on Moscow ,
Stalin , willing to get whatever support he could get , even from believers
is supposed to have revived an old Russian tradition of the parade of Icon to the soldiers
the most revered of all , the virgin of Vladimir was taken around the battlefield .... in a plane

1547416758008.png

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
during the winter of 41 , as the German were closing on Moscow ,
Stalin , willing to get whatever support he could get , even from believers
is supposed to have revived an old Russian tradition of the parade of Icon to the soldiers
the most revered of all , the virgin of Vladimir was taken around the battlefield .... in a plane

View attachment 14762
Interesting, so this flying a holy relic around in a plane is the equivalent of parading it around on the ground.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I don'y know , I guess that was the practical application of superstition
if the priests liked it , it would be good for morale and it's not like if it cost much trouble
in late November , Stalin was not going to left any support unsought